Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Callan projections.....

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by BarbV, Jul 11, 2014.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ok at 20+ weeks:

He weighs 13.8 pounds

Height. Hard to tell because of the the wiggle factor but I'm going to put him at 13 inches. Maybe a smidge less or a smidge more.

To me he seems a little pudgy but I'm definitely not over feeding him

According to the growth charts, I think this has him on the high side of average, but not oversize.

Do you guys concur?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I can't speak to the weight, but 13 inches at 20 weeks puts him smack in the middle of where he should be on the growth chart within the standard. The in-size track for 20-weeks runs from 12 to almost 13 1/2 inches. Above that is oversized.

Can you feel his ribs? When you look down at him, can you see a waistline? If he's slightly pudgy, he will probably outgrow it but I would be careful that he doesn't continue to pack on pounds.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    How about sending a bird's eye view picture of him?

4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Yup agree with Ann, and depending on his line will prob end about just over 15". And yes make sure he isnt carrying around extra weight, its not good on his developing hips and joints.

5. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It sounds good, Barb. Palpating ribs will give you are more accurate assessment, but a general rule is a pound per inch. A bigger boned boy like my Fletcher will break that rule. He feels skinny with all his ribs poking out, but weights 21 pounds at 15.5".....