Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Calming shirt for dogs

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Piper's mom, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:28 AM.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I found that Finnie has been getting increasingly anxious at the dog show (and at home) so I bought him a calming shirt and even after just a few minutes with it on I'm noticing an improvement! He's much more relaxed, less likely to bark and over react. It's amazing the difference it's made in such a short time. This one is the Zendog calming compression shirt.
    Tomorrow will be the true test at the show (of course I can't have him wearing it in the ring), I'm hoping wearing it when there's lots of activity it'll help to keep him from getting too anxious. Friday was really bad for him...he was so anxious when it was our time in the ring I was worried he'd try to bolt (he didn't) but the barking was awful!
    I'm hoping that over time the anxiety will lessen with the help of this. Here he is wearing it yesterday, calm and cool and looking svelte lol.

https://imgur.com/a/OFueL35

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Hope it works and best of luck from Cooper and I!! :)

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I hope it works for both of you too! My goodness, what we won’t do for our dogs!

Finnie looks beautiful! I love his coat coloring and so lush too. His ear set is great too.

Laddie also had horrible anxiety during thunderstorms and I got a thunder shirt. Worked great!

I am going to check this one out. I like the fact that it is not a full wrap.

Good luck!!!

Calliesmom, Wendy C and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I actually looked up in the rules and it's at the handlers discretion that a dog may wear a tight fitting jacket in the ring so I'll ask the judge before hand.

Calliesmom, Hanne and Wendy C like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great news! This might be the help he needs! Good luck

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is awesome- pretty sure that you couldn't do that in AKC......
    I'll have to doublecheck but they are pretty strict about collar only.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Guess that's why yesterday, when I asked the judge (who is an American AKC judge who doesn't know our rules) she said no. Good judge for obedience but not for Rally as she was judging it like obedience (poor sits if it wasn't PERFECT!)

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    This is from our CKC rule book. However, I don't believe it was intended for this purpose.

8.16.5 When conditions warrant and at the handler’s discretion, a dog may wear (55-09-11) a close fitting, plain sweater or jacket while competing in individual or
    group exercises.

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sorry about that- there are some judges who do mark off like obedience but they are not supposed to....

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that's nice that you have that option. still haven't looked in the current rules...

Piper's mom likes this.