Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can I use chewing gum for ears

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by andre normand, Aug 20, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    my breeder tells me to use non sugar chewing gums to keep ears on my puppy down
    What are your thoughts

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've heard of people using chewing gum but don't know anyone who's ever done it. Most people use Japanese tape or glue. I'd be more comfortable using pure glycerine rather than gum, but if you do decide to try the gum, PLEASE don't use sugar-free gum! It contains xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. If a piece falls off your puppy's ears and he eats it, he could be very sick. Many products use xylitol, even yogurt, so it's important to always check ingredients before using or giving them to your dog.

There are several threads here on ears that may help you decide what the easiest way is for you.

3. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I used glue for false eyelashes. Never heard of using gum. The reason I used this glue it was easy to remove.

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Many years ago when we got Asta at 10 weeks, one ear kept wanting to creep up and I did not want one ear up and one down. Our breeder also recommended chewing gum, it stuck to the hair and gave enough weight to keep the tip down. I can't remember how long we did it for, but it worked! (see Avatar photo of Asta, the big girl) And yes NO SUGAR FREE gum with xylitol! Toxic for pups!

5. Shayla

Shayla Forums Novice

Feb 11, 2019
    I'm using gum on my sheltie and it's been working great until a couple of days ago. The gum came off of one ear, so I re-applied it. It was fine for a day then she got it off again. This has happened 3 times now and I'm thinking of gluing the gum to her ear tip. That way I get the tipped look now instead of the folded taped look while she's growing and in training. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sewing glue is much safer.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'd be careful doing this. If it comes off and she eats it with glue on it, she could get sick. As Chris said, just using sewing glue without the gum is safer.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Chewing gum on the ears is a very common method in Australia, where the ears are not set so high on the head, and for pet homes it is much easier than fiddling with glue. You can use normal gum (with sugar) or if you use sugar free make sure it does not use xylitol - many contain sorbitol and mannitol, but some still use xylitol so do check the label. The amount of gum you will use on the ears is small, don't be inclined to put a heap on to start with, try small amounts on the tip and add as required - otherwise you could get end up with hound dog ears.

And one word of advice - this is not a great method for multiple dogs, esp if one is a piggy. I used the gum method on my dogs, but had to stop with Tully because I'd come home to find her with sopping wet ears as Mr D would chew it off during the day.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
  10. Shayla

Shayla Forums Novice

Feb 11, 2019
    Thanks! The gum disappeared again so that's out. I'm still researching but glue may win out. Thanks for your help!

Ann likes this.