Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can shelties be happy in a busy/noisy home

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Sheltie 2021, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Sheltie 2021

Sheltie 2021 Forums Novice

Feb 16, 2021
    Hi I'm looking for advice on if my home will be suitable for a sheltie because
    Im starting to worry my home will be to loud and busy for one
    From everything I have read there very noise sensitive and just very sensitive in general
    And with 3 kids aged 4,6 and 12(eldest has adhd) our home can get very loud and crazy at times
    Also what iv read says there not gd at being left alone in worried even the school run will be to much for it once the dogs an adult obviously as a pup they can't be left for long periods but as an adult I was hopeing they'd be OK for 2-3hrs but now I'm not to sure
    I don't know anyone that has or ever had a sheltie and online it's just the general rule for temperament
    For anyone that has had or has a sheltie can you tell me what there like I know each dogs different but if I know they can be OK around loud and busy homes or children it will give me abit of hope
    I'm not worried about having the time for training, exercise or grooming as I'm home alone from 9-3 come September and we're not planning to get pup till then
    Sorry for the poor punctuation I'm not great with my words

Darren, danisgoat, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hello and thanks for educating yourself in advance of accepting a new furry family member into your home!
    You sound very busy with three kids to tend to. Shelties can be great with children if they are trained to be kind to them. Yes, they are sensitive! That is one of their best traits. Sound reactive... yes, some more than others. If you have a pup early on they will get used to all the noise! I am sure others will chime in with advice! Remember that Shelties require grooming with their beautiful coats! I will post a link for more information...

https://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

Hanne, Darren, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Read. read, read and then if you decide to go ahead, don't choose a pup based on sex or coat color. Find a GOOD breeder (there are TONS - not all are good breeders) and then talk to that breeder. Meet with the puppies and see who fits your family and who your family fits to what puppy.

Our family situation is nuts. We have 3 kids but older, 20, just turned 22 and 23. There are issues in our family. Sometimes things get loud, sometimes there is an insane amount of stress, sometimes things are just perfectly peaceful and life is good - we have it all here. In all of it, our puppers know that all is good for THEM. I feel if you allow a pup to choose you, then you work with that pup to socialize, you work on raising a confident pup that is comfortable in their own skin, all will be well. It takes time, it takes attention. And just as with raising kids, the pups go through stages as well so you have to be ready for and deal with them. They will go through bratty 'teenage' stages. They will go through fear stages, both as a pup and as a young adult. Life with a pup is never ending training, it both helps them become confident dogs and gives them a purpose in life. You need to be prepared for walks and hikes and activity because they have a LOT of energy.

We raised small standard dachshunds with our kids. They were smaller, required less activity and exercise, yet made great family companions. Our doxies traveled and camped with us at times. They were excellent dogs for our family and we still have one. They are NOT good around others and others are not good with handling of doxies. When our kids had friends over, our doxies were crated at all times -we didn't want the visitors to harm the dogs and we def did not want the dogs to harm the visitors. We dealt with 1 dog bite - while camping a kid pulled a tail adn got a nip to the face - if our dog had to bite one kid in that campground, he bit the right one. That dad sent his son back to apologize to us for pulling our dogs tail. We rarely brought them after. A doxie is a hound and has a jaw that can do much damage, they are bred to be fearless, undaunting hunters of small prey.

We now have an almost 2 1/2 yr old sheltie and a just turned 14 weeks old sheltie along with one of our doxies who is now a deaf senior. We feel each breed had its place in our lives at the moments they were a part of. I did grow up with a sheltie. Shelties can grow up in families and make excellent family members. It depends on both the canvas you start out with and what picture you choose to paint with it.

Hanne, RikyR, Darren and 4 others like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Beautifully written, Sandy! Great perspective. Since I am single I could not speak of first hand experience within a family. Thanks for adding your experiences!

Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Sheltie 2021

Sheltie 2021 Forums Novice

Feb 16, 2021
    Thank you for your replies
    The coat is one of the many things I love about shelties and Iv groomed some before
    When I worked in a kennels before my kids they offered a gromming service and I was in charge of that
    Iv also had dogs growing up last 2 being border collies one was pts after a 2nd stroke at 14yrs and the other that still lives with my dad will be 13 in July
    I'm in the UK and there don't seen to be many breeders around but iv spent 3 months searching for a good one and have another 7 months atleast to make sure I find the right breeder/pup
    I will definitely not be rushing into anything
    Iv waited 12yrs to be in the right position to give a good home and plenty of attention for a pup/dog

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree...very well said!
    I agree also to allow your breeder to choose the right pup for you!
    It’s all in the socializing, both what the breeder does and then what you do once that pup comes home. A well socialized Sheltie will tolerate most noises..also a well trained dog (Shelties love obedience) is a happy dog!

Hanne, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have always found grooming to be a great bonding experience! Great that you know and understand the grooming requirements! Many folks get a dog because the like the look of all that coat yet don’t have a clue as to how to take care of it! Good luck! Glad you are not rushing into it! It is a lifetime responsibility! Let us know how you progress!

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second the advice you've gotten from others here. Shelties do make wonderful family dogs! They are loyal and loving and great with children who know how to treat a dog. My two kids were raised with Shelties and they were wonderful. As others have said, if you are able to find a reputable breeder who will match a puppy to your family situation you'll be fine.

This is my Ruffles with my grandson when he was only a few months old, and playing tea party with my granddaughter as a puppy . I'm always amazed at how instinctive and gentle they are.

Kisses from Ruffles.jpg Tea Party 9.JPG

trini, Hanne, RikyR and 10 others like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gosh, Ann... those images are beyond precious!

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    IMO ask the breeder for a high energy puppy. Maybe even do flyball or agility. But with the energy and kids I am betting your pup will think hit the lottery of homes.

RikyR, Darren, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.