Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can there be too much togetherness?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Oct 13, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, with the long weekend over, things are going back to normal with our household routines. We tend to follow the same pattern every weekday. Willow and I go downstairs, she eats while I make breakfast for my wife and me while my wife gets herself ready for work. When she comes downstairs I go up to shower while she eats. Willow is always waiting at the gate to the stairs for me until I get back down.

I eat while my wife heads for work. Willow and I hit the couch for an hour to allow the neighborhood kids to get to school. That leaves the paths pretty empty so walking is easy for us.

Making breakfast: Dad, can I help?
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-WRP2v5P/0/a90933cc/X3/IMG_3316-X3.jpg

Power napping beside Dad before our walk.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-sSjdhDk/0/46a0d26e/X3/IMG_3317-X3.jpg

I don't know how others feel about having their Sheltie underfoot most of the time but I have to admit, I like it.

Hanne, KarenCurtis, RikyR and 7 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    it's good as long as they move out of the way when I need to move/walk somewhere:winkgrin:

RikyR, Piper's mom, Darren and 3 others like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There's always one under my feet or on the chair with me and usually one more looking cheesed that the spot is taken. With five, they tend to mill about your feet which can be treacherous, but what I call the Sheltie Obstacle Course keeps me fit climbing over and around them. I'd be lost without them! :yes:

Willow is adorable and has the best expression! I love the photo of her looking up at you. Here, that would translate to, "Are you making that for me??" :confused2:

Hanne, KarenCurtis, RikyR and 7 others like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to say I agree with Ann! I would be lost without them! Willow does look like she is asking if she can help!

Piper's mom, Ann, Darren and 2 others like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Sweet Willow has her Master Supervisor certificate for sure. Ours know "OUT of the kitchen" because it's small enough with two people and I don't want to trip over a dog while cooking.... otherwise, yes underfoot a lot. I think a group of Shelties should be called "a swirl" of Shelties because that is what they do!

6. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    A Sheltie underfoot all the time is fine by me, Harley did was never more than a few inches away. Monty can't still still for mor than a minute so is always away causing mayhem somewhere so it's so much an issue anymore.
    It's pretty obvious Willow adores you so there's no escaping the girl now haha

Hanne, ghggp, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.
  7. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    Only place River can't be with me is the shower....and he complains and barks about it. Right now he's sitting on my shoulder and pressing his head on mine like I'm a pillow.

Calliesmom, RikyR, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  8. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Togetherness is in a sheltie’s job description, along with supervising humans and alerting them to danger.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm not so sure. Deska was permanently attached to my leg and I mean that literally. And although I miss him dearly, I did at times need more space than he gave me. I also don't like them hovering at my feet when I'm cooking dinner - neither Della nor the puppy have learnt distance in the kitchen, something to work on. Both Deska and Tully learnt to stay out of the kitchen while I prepared. But I am probably different to you all as I suffer from chronic vertigo and a dog under my feet trips me over, which Della has done several times. I guess that's why Deska learnt to attached to the side of my leg, it was safer for both of us (he was also a bigger dog). I must say, Deska was fantastic at heeling!

Hanne, TheDailyPainter, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    WIllow is pretty good in the kitchen. If I'm at the counter working, she'll sit beside me, she doesn't beg, just watches. If I need to open the oven she moves to the kitchen door and watches from a distance (and no, I have no idea why she adopted this oven behavior, no one trained her for that, perhaps it is just caution on her part)