Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cane Toad alert

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Selena Wohlslagel, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:13 AM.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    Cane Toads have had a birth boom in Florida.they are poisonous to canninies.only 50 percent of dogs who are poisoned by cane toad aka Bufo Toad survive. There are granules you can buy to create a parimeter around your yard won't hurt dogs but supposed to keep the Toads away. PupDefense is what it's called and it's expensive. I have not tried it yet. But my neighbor and myself have both had toads show up in our little personal house Mail baskets. Even the juvenile cane toad is highly poisonous. I live in SW Florida but heard the Toads are beginning to spread as far north as Sarasota. Please be watching and if you see one humanely but quickly kill it.they are not native to Florida and reproduce faster than rabbits. I don't like to kill either but these toads pose a big threat to our dogs.

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  2. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    There are cane toads in Hawaii’s too. They are extremely common. My friend’s dog nearly died after biting one. One of my past dogs but a cane toad and survived after rinsing out his mouth. It was scary but he only foamed at the mouth and was then ok. I was taught to immediately rinse out their mouth with copious amounts of water (and of course go to the vet if possible, but you may have to act fast).

I teach my dogs to leave the toads alone now. I also don’t let them outside at night except quick potty breaks, since cane toads are most active at night.

Darren, Caro, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.
  3. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you for letting us know more about the Cane Toad and where it's at. Yes rinse dogs mouth with hose water vigorously and get the dog immediately to the vet

Darren, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Yep, hose water is exactly what we use!

Stay safe from toads, everyone!

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is beyond scary! I am glad I don’t live in Florida! Stay safe for those who live down south! Thanks for the post.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Yes I’m very happy I live in a more northern local lol...those things would scare me!

Darren and Selena Wohlslagel like this.
  8. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    They are ugly and scary and they grow large enough to eat a snake.They brought them in for the Miami Sugar Cane fields because they eat beetles but they spread all over sw Florida and now they are a menace to dogs and small children

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Where do you live and can We come live with you. LoL

10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    The cane toads only natural control is the hognosed snake and if that snake is big enough to eat a full grown cane toad it must be huge gak