Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Car harnesses

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Caro, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    New research into a number of car harnesses - undertaken by the NRMA (the National Roads and Motorists Association) here in Australia

Here's the media release
    http://www.iagresearch.com.au/index...your-puppy&catid=81:media-releases&Itemid=464

And some info from the research report
    http://www.iagresearch.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226&Itemid=618

Only 2 of the 25 tested didn't fall apart on impact. The research report said the problem was the plastic buckles the failed harnesses use. So if you're looking at car harnesses go for something with stronger buckles.

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    thanks! I'm on the hunt for one for Ruutu since crates can't fit in my car.

3. SueEllen

SueEllen Forums Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Ottawa
    Does anyone know where I can purchase one of the safety approved purina roadie dog car safety harnesses in Canada?

Looked at Petsmart and amazon and not sure if anyone carries it nor delivers in Canada.

Otherwise any other safety tested car seats harness you can recommend?

Thanks!

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Kurgo....I've always found they have good travelling solutions.

I got a travelling basket for Callan. He us secure and cozy in his little bin. He has almost grown out of it, but I highly recommend it for pups. Because I travel 1.5,hours to cottage each week, this was a good expense. I also have the Kurgo hammock for the backseat for Indy. No falling onto seat wells if I have to jam on the breaks!

5. SueEllen

SueEllen Forums Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Ottawa
    Thanks Barb.

I guess Kurgo would make a harness type restraint which I maybe able to purchase at Petvalue I assume?

6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I use to ride my dogs in car harnesses until one day one of them stepped on the button that releases the seat belt holder into which the harness was clicked and was suddenly loose in the car, trying to climb over the seat back to get to me while I was driving. I pulled over as soon as I safely could and got him clicked back in, but he had learned how to get loose and that was the end of being able to use a harness on him in the car. So, to be on the safe side, mine now all ride in medium sized vari kennels...placed on the seats and seat belted through their carry handle to hold them secure in case of an accident. It is a tight fit for my ones who are "biggies"...but I would sooner have them in cramped quarters rather then hurt.

Trini

7. SueEllen

SueEllen Forums Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Ottawa
    Interesting, never thought of them unclipping the harness...hmmmm. I find the crate a bit awkward to get in & out of my car since it is a coupe. I may give a harness a try....thanks

8. SueEllen

SueEllen Forums Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Ottawa
    So I went out & bought the "Clix Carsafe" harness today & am really happy with it so far. Has good safety reviews for small dogs & Bailey can sit or lay down in the back seat. Put it on him on the way home form the store & he seemed to have adequate room to sit or lay down & he seemed really happy with it too :)!

You can check it out here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_K2k-S1yQ

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    You could email Purina customer service and ask them what name they are selling that car harness in Canada.