Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Car riding equipment

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Pam, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I was wondering how those that do not have huge cars transport their dogs. I have always put Beau in an Easy-Rider harness and MIghty Paws tether, which worked perfectly. Recently he decided to take his car reactiveness on the road however. Shortening the tether to its shortest length, he can get near windows and lunge and bark. Looking for something safe and more restrictive without being dangerous or too terribly uncomfortable for him. We tried a crate but our car (older CRV) is small enough that the crate butts up against the backdoor, should we get even slightly rear-ended, his crate would be hit. Plus he howls in the crate in the car. Suggestions?

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Would you be willing to put a crate in your back seat? I have a small hatch/SUV crossover. I’m in the same boat that if I put a crate in the very back it sits right against the window in the crumple zone.

I have a Ruff Tuff Kennel that I put in the backseat when I transport a dog or two. It’s light enough that it’s easy to take in and out when I need the backseat.

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Well, I often need to transport people in the backseat as well so that could be a problem from time to time.

4. CJ_Canuck

CJ_Canuck Forums Novice

Mar 15, 2018
    I've got an older CRV too - are you able to fold up just one side of the seats and put in a crate pushed up to the folded seat or does the bump from the back wheel get in the way?

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I have two metal cages - one we use for everyday where I have put the two rear seats down so she has plenty of space.
    This cage may also be there if there is only one person in the back seat.

A smaller one, but big enough - when there are people on the rear seats.

Now Minnie is very quiet in the car, she never says anything :wink2:

- she has been with me in the car from day one and can look both sideways and backwards.

6. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Try a Sleepypod harness. They are a 3 point harness without a tether strap. Basically the dog can sit or down but not turn. It's the only harness to pass independent crash testing while keeping dogs in a natural position. If you do decide on a crate be sure to check the Center for Pet Safety's website for the results of thier crash testing. www.centerforpetsafety.org

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio

Just curious, do you have one? I purchased one (before I got a car that could fit the RTK) and I HATE it. The dogs can’t get comfortable. I had a crappier seatbelt before so I know it’s not the idea of a seatbelt. It just fit them very odd. I read some reviews and it’s a common complaint for dogs that are on the smaller side of the approved sizes. I was really disappointed.

8. SKNerissa

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have both the Clickit Terrain and Clickit Sport Sleepypod harnesses. As you say, they aren't the most comfortable harness but they do the job of keeping the dog safe and Sleepypod does stand by thier policy of replacing a harness that gets into an accident (as we found out after spinning out on black ice this winter). Keep in mind, that like many babies, most dogs don't like being so restrained and take time to adjust but it is the best thing for them. The Clickit Terrain does fit quite a bit differently than the Sport so you may want to try a different model if you haven't already. Sleepypod is also working to develop a harness for dogs with narrow chests.

9. SKNerissa

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I would recommend reviewing the Center for Pet Safety's review of the Ruff Tough Kennel as both models tested failed to meet crash testing standards: http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/test-results/crates/2015-crate-study-results/#RuffTough

I would encourage anyone considering the use of wire kennels/crates in the car to review the crash test results from the Center for Pet Safety. Not sure if that's what you meant by "metal cage" but the wire ones are one of the most dangerous options for restraining a dog in the car: http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/t...-crate-study-results/#MidwestWireKennelV15570

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Nerissa - Here in the north, these kinds of cages are definitely the most used

- among other things because the dogs have good space, good ventilation feels good as they can move around.

In the 30 years I have been in dog circles, I have never heard / read about dog accidents involving dog cages.

I always have a front and back door in my cages - if you should be so unlucky to be hit from the back so my dog can come out.

Cara Sandler likes this.