Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cassie and the Bed

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by MissyGallant, Apr 12, 2019.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Why do all of my dogs have issues with the bed? My sweet Cooper can get on and off the bed at any time, without needing the step stool- unless it is bedtime. Then he has to be picked up, front legs on my left shoulder (it must be the left, he will not allow himself to be placed on the right) and put onto the bed. Clarabelle gets on and off the bed but only will allow cuddles in the deepest dark of night, then she lays between us with her head on a pillow. Tara- well, no complaints about Tara as she is Ms. Perfection. And Rocket, there is no telling what Rocket will do at any given moment, but he does demand a cuddle before he will settle at night.

And now, there is Cassie. Cassie can use the steps to get onto the bed- as long as she isn't thinking about it. If she's following her hero Rocket, or her bestie Melody (the Siamese kitten), the she can effortlessly get onto the bed. But if she thinks about it for a mere split second, she gets stuck. This morning, she got stuck with 3 legs on the bed, the last leg on the stepstool. And the poor dear had no idea how to get herself out of that situation. But the few times she has managed to get that fourth leg on, she is all sorts of full of herself.

She has also gotten onto the couch 3 times- again, as long as she doesn't think about it. And she is equally as full of herself when she does.

Piper's mom, RikyR, Ann and 4 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie doesn't do steps at all yet. He did run up the rear steps to our deck this past week, sort of surprised me and I think him too. How old is Cassie? I've been wondering how long I might be carrying Brodie. No fears with the bed here, yet, we overcame the single stair from family room to kitchen but that's about it.

Piper's mom and GlennR like this.
  3. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    4 months. She can get into the house (and it's a big step that I sometimes have a hard time with). But getting onto the bed- that takes some thought- or more precisely no thought.

4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm still carrying Willow on stairs. I think I'll keep it up for a year to give all the bone plates time to harden up.

Sharon7 likes this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I think I'll keep it up for a year to give all the bone plates time to harden up.

Had to giggle at this one. Brodie cannot do stairs, except for one afternoon this week he did them twice when really hyped up. I carry him, not for the bone protection but because he doesn't. Good thing he is small - we have LOTS of stairs - out the front door, out the back door, into the kitchen from our family room, upstairs, to the basement. He won't do stairs, but when left inside while I take Kooper out for his business, he stays inside the back door, parking at an insanely high pitch and jumps straight up and down like a jack in the box. I keep telling him the trainer said no jumping at his age, but hes a spazz when it comes to Kooper. He exceeds handle height - straight up. Will have to try and video it.....

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla at night: "Carry me!"

Sharon7 likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I remember those days when Finnie would try to make it on the bed and be oh. so. close....and fall back down:ROFLMAO:!
    Now it's impossible to keep him off anything! Few days ago I was at work and my mother (she's 90) found Finnie sleeping in the middle of HER bed! She wasn't happy about THAT!

Hanne and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    The visual of Cassie with three feet on, one foot off the bed cracks me up! What a funny puppy she must be! Bet she'll figure it out quickly. :yes:

Sharon7 likes this.