Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cat or canine?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 9, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know about other Shelties but Willow acts very cat-like at times when greeting me. She loves to go between my legs and rub all around me. If I reach down to pet her, she flops on her back and loves a good tummy rub.

Anybody else have a "cat" dog?

Here is my little princess relaxing this morning, her dog bed is right below her but she prefers the couch.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Nope, none of mine ever did that... Geez, I get enough dog fur on my close without them rubbing against me! HA! :gaah
    Of course, mine prefer the love seat to their bed as well...:rolleyes2:

GlennR, Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Benson is her brother from another mother! And its just been in the last two weeks he discovered if he flopped down or rolled over a belly pet would ensue.
    Koko and Fillion do neither, but they do rub up and down the walls or couch or bed skirt, typically after dinner. Lovely (NOT) having to wash walls and bed skirt (which is a bear to get on and off by yourself) so often!

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    shelties are very catlike in many ways.
    Destin does the rub all over me thing and one of my friends shelties also does it.

GlennR and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Our Ruffles does exactly the same thing! She loves to wind between legs and rub. She's also one of the cuddly ones in the house. We call her our Sheltie kitty too!

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Yes, Shelby does that too. We often say she must have played with the cats at the breeder more than the other dogs

7. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu rubs the bed skirt and the couch too. He likes to get his belly rubs in the yard, never in the house.

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie is not a cuddler, but does do the leg rub thing - maybe he learned from one of our cats! He rubs against the cat too. He isn't a couch dog though - won't jump up on it, yet anyways.

Great pic of Princess Willow!

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Hahaha...mine (Finnie and Riley) love to clean their faces on my bedding as well! Drives me crazy!
    I call Finnie part cat because everything is on his terms...he'll come to me for a cuddle (but doesn't like it if I pull him to me) and hates to be picked up but is ok being on my lap in a chair if he jumps up on me...silly boy. Piper is pure dog, nothing cat like about him lol.

GlennR likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I can one up you all - Tully meows! She's a very good mimic and she learnt it listening and watching the cats. It's the cutest sound, I wish she did it more often so I could get it on tape.

On the down side of being a cat-dog she was always on benchtops or getting onto the 6ft cat climber to reach the cat food at the top. She also rubs and things, a lot, not so much on people nowadays because I stopped that behaviour, but she'll rub all over the pet store, both mine rubbed so much along the couches I put material there, and she does this half body head rub on the carpet and rugs. I also have a dog-cat, a Burmese, so things are very confusing in my house!