Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Changes after spaying

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Lexi, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    So I'm interested if your females had this changes after spaying:
    - female became less energetic after being spayed
    - more unsocial with other dogs, not so much interested in playing with the other dogs
    - puts on weight very easily, do you have to feed less to keep her in the right body weight

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, girls tend to gain weight more easily after being spayed and become a bit more mellow. I haven't had experience with them becoming less social or playful...perhaps if they're older.

You may have to feed less to keep her weight down, especially if she exercises less.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    this happened to my friend's girl- shortly after the spay, she developed low thyroid issues so is now on thyroid meds....

4. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Annie came to us right after she recovered from her spay and she loves to play with Katy and is often the one to initiate play. She was only 2 when she was spayed though.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi - I can only say no to the first 2 of your questions.

About weight I have always been very careful about my dogs to keep them slim,

I would not be able to carry if they needed to be on slimming.:lol:

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Didn't notice any of those things when Tully was spay. She was an energiser bunny before spay and was probably even more so after. She never was interested in strange dogs (esp after being attacked) and always preferred her own crew. She could also eat as much as Deska (who was twice her weight) and she only gained weight after her hip replacement and when she became a 'senior'. I have never noticed any of these issues with spay vs intact with my dog club, or at dog sports. In fact the State champions in agility and National flyball champs were all desexed - actually you'd hardly ever see an intact dogs with those titles.

The only thing I noticed that changed when Tully was spay was there were no more attacks - she kept getting attacked by larger female dogs, after the last bad attack, on the vet's advice I got her spay and sure enough the attacks stopped.

7. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    These certainly can be concerns in males, but not in females. The female is in heat for 3 weeks twice a year, the rest of the time the ovaries are dormant and a spayed and unspayed dog are the same dog. This is in contrast to, say cats, where to the question, 'Will spaying change her?' the answer is 'compared to what?' As cats are either in heat or pregnant pretty much most of the year, there is no such thing as a female cat who is just 'normal'.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I can say no to all 3 questions. Spaying didn't seem to change my dog's temperament or energy level. She was the same crazy sheltie lol.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You mean an intact cat who is normal? My Burmese was unspay for a whole 2 weeks after I got her (as an adult) from a breeder and she drove me insane with the cat-a-wailing and pacing non-stop between doors. I don't know how anyone (other than a breeder) would want an intact cat of either sex. And I can also add that my temperament didn't change when I got spayed (unless you count the insanity caused by hot flashes);)

10. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Thanks to all for your replies.:smile2:
    Now I must only find the right time to spay her. She had her first heat in january so spaying in june is not ok probably.