Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Checkers' Surgery

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Checkers had her surgery yesterday to remove the growth on her leg. She was in surgery for nearly 4 hours. She has a cast-type bandage with a hard splint from the top of her leg to her toes, and a 6-inch gash with stitches on her side where they had to graft skin for her leg after removing the growth. She's supposed to stay as immobile as possible for two weeks for the graft to take, and she has to go back to the vet every two days to have the bandage changed for at least the next two weeks.

It's been a rough night. She can't navigate on the leg at all, and won't do her chores outside. I'm carrying her everywhere. Add to that, it's snowing a gale today. At least her appetite hasn't suffered, she's wolfing her chicken and rice. I'm looking forward to going back to the vet tomorrow to get the bandage changed, hoping they can adjust it a bit so she can move.

The biopsy results on the growth should be back in the next few days. The surgeon thinks he got clear margins but it's such a tough spot, he said it could come back depending on the diagnosis. So we are holding our breath for that. I'll update when I have the report. Please keep the prayers coming for my girl.

Surgery Pic.JPG

RikyR, KarenCurtis, Hannah and 2 others like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    poor girl and poor you!
    I have been in your shoes, and being a doggie nurse is just as all-encompassing as being a person's nurse.
    I hope the 2 weeks go by quickly and Checkers is able to slowly start her recovery.

as hard as it is, put the biopsy out of your mind. At this point it won't change anything currently happening. Having gone the radiation route, we had to wait for Gavin's leg (and second surgery elsewhere, too) to heal anyway.

KarenCurtis, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Poor Checkers (and poor you)...she looks like she's had a rough 24 hours! I can imagine having the splint would make it difficult for her to move around but she'll get used to it (my last dog had to wear a hard splint on a back leg for 3 weeks and she hated it too!)...plus you've got the added worry that the graft heals properly.
    As always great words of wisdom from Cindy...all you can do now is pray they got it all. You and Checkers are in my prayers for a speedy recovery and clean margins! Hugs to you both!!
    Give Checkers a pat for me, poor girls been through a lot!

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Glad she is out of surgery and home and resting. I imagine she's probably still under effects of anesthesia - takes a while to wear off 100%. Hoping that she has a bit better day today and that you start making progress towards healing.

Checkers is just beautiful!!!

(I am in Western CT as well!)

5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Ann, your beautiful Checkers is a tough lass, but it has been a really hard last 24 hours for both you and for her. Being a doggie nurse is both emotionally and physically draining, so hopefully when Checkers naps you can get some rest too. In the meantime, prayers continue for good biopsy results!!

love and hugs, Trini

Hanne, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks, Cindy (and Pipers Mom, Sandy and Trini too!) ... this is excellent advice. The funny thing is that I'm so busy taking care of her that I've found today I don't have time to stress over the biopsy. It pops up in my mind from time to time, but being a nurse really does require your full attention. That's probably a good thing.

I appreciate all your prayers and good thoughts!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    FYI. when Gavin had a mast cell tumor removed from his hip, they apparently stitched it back together super tight and it opened :(
    NO ONE told me he needed to be on crate rest, just to keep him calm and no jumping on furniture.
    We ended up having to have bandages changed every 3 weeks every other day.

This forum is what got me through his surgery and radiation...and now with his bad leg meaning an every present limp forever, I need a place to vent and talk.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Piper's mom, Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Sending healing thoughts to Checkers, Ann. She looks a bit dopey still in the photo, poor little girl. It's tough having them go through such a long surgery at an older age. I hope they can fix the splint so she can walk. Ally's was on her back leg and she stumped around on it, turning to give it the stink-eye, but she did manage to get around.

Nothing but prayers going up for clean margins and a good report, and a fast recovery. Hugs to you both. I know the wait is interminable......

9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    So glad to hear she's home. Sending all the positive healing energy we can muster from here in AZ!

Ann and KarenCurtis like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! Checkers! yu is a brave dog! i wish i cud lick yu!

Ann likes this.