Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Checkers the Rock Star

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Nearly two weeks after surgery to remove the tumor on her leg that required a skin graft, Checkers finally got most of her staples out today. She's doing great, and the techs made little purple vet wrap hearts for her sassy camo bandage because they said she was the bravest patient ever. Their last dog to get staples removed (a Lab!) had to be anesthetized, but Checkers never moved or flinched while they pulled out some 20 staples. What a tough girl!

The splint will come off on Monday, and the bandage will stay for another week. Then hopefully she can start to get back to normal. We can't wait!

Chex in Camo.jpg

corbinam, Caro, Hanne and 9 others like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    what a special girl :) I know my vet tech loved Gavin, he would even jump up on her exam table before radiation. Her daughter would play games with him in the mornings before she went to school.
    She said some dogs were really mean to her :( Of course, they were hurting and just weren't happy about it.

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! checkers! yu is a brave dog! be proud!

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Ann, I am just over the moon happy for you and Checkers! What a girl!
    Sheltie Girl Power Rocks!!!

Go Checkers!!!

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Checkers is such a special awesome dog, Ann. I was wondering today how she was doing, so glad to see this update. Shelties really can be tough little dogs, which is funny because they are also so sensitive. Can't wait to hear that splint and bandage are done with and she can get around normally. I know you must be so relieved. :hugs

When Brooke had a foot issue a couple of years ago she sported a very sassy tiger print bandage. However she did NOT approve and wouldn't leave it alone. We had to go buy an inflatable donut type collar to keep her from it. She actually liked the collar, she used it as a pillow. Too bad Faith got a hold of it and popped it.....:gaah :((

ghggp and Ann like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    What a brace girl Checkers is! Very pretty bandage she's got!
    I know as Sharon said Shelties sure are tough dogs at the vet! I know with Finnie as sensitive as he is he never even flinched the last time he had his temperature taken:yuckyuck so Checkers is a real trooper to allow staples to be removed!

ghggp and Ann like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Checkers looks great, Ann! So happy all is going well for her...she is one tough cookie. :)

Trini

Ann likes this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin Cone.JPG much better than all the gruesome photos I posted of Gavin during radiation.
    Although the one of him with an XL cone was quite cute :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Ann likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is a satellite dish :winkgrin:

RikyR and Ann like this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    one could believe I needed an XL :) But with the Large he could use the edge of the cone to scrape the corns starch off his foot. I ended up using softer cones that were more comfy to sleep in but were heavy. and he had no problem eating with it one either!