Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chewie did something weird this morning

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Stewart Werley, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Stewart Werley

Stewart Werley Premium Member

Feb 27, 2018
    He's been eating raw now for a few months and everything has been going well. I made a new batch for him yesterday and gave him a meatball that had not previously been frozen this morning. He didn't seem to care for it. Ground chicken, and ground turkey. But here's the really weird thing. He grabbed a bunch of the meatball, pulled it out of the dish and dropped it on the floor. Then he fully jammed his nose into it to sniff it. Like fully pushed his nose into the meatball, then pulled it out, and wiped off his nose on the floor mat. Then did it again. Probably 4 or 5 times at the minimum. Jam his nose, wipe it off, jam his nose, wipe it off.

I figured maybe there was something bad with the meat, so I scooped it up and got it out of there, but it seemed really weird. I had never seen that before. Anyone else?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Nope, that's a new one! Almost like, "Well, it IS a meatball. *sniff* Nope!" "But really, a meatball. *sniff* Nope!" :lol:

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've never had my guys do that...that's just too funny!

4. Stewart Werley

Feb 27, 2018
    I know! It was odd, but he really looked like he couldn't make up his mind. He usually eats pretty well. Usually. There are mornings where he just isn't that hungry and will only eat a little, then he'll do better in the evening. He is 9 months (15.5 lbs) , and I still feed him twice a day. Neutered, but still nice and trim. He generally doesn't just wolf his food down or anything. I have another meatball I made yesterday that was not frozen. We'll see how he does with it tonight.

5. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    There is no accounting for taste. Phoebe loves chicken, but if I give her a piece of beef, she will take it and carry it around for a while and then spit it out. Generally on the carpet.

6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    All my dogs are pigs :ROFLMAO:...there isn't anything they won't eat!

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Ok that's funny. First thing I thought was meatball colored red and he'd have a clown nose LOL

If something was wrong with the meat, that would be even more reason for my guys to eat it. Like Piper and Finnie, I haven't seen much they won't eat. Bunny head didn't get eaten..think that's about it.

I'd be more inclined to say something was in it or on it and he was trying to catch it...like a bug?

8. Stewart Werley

Feb 27, 2018
    There was nothing on it, and later last night he did the same with a small dry biscuit. He'd push his nose onto it, then he tried to roll a toy on top of it. I am wondering if he was trying to "bury" it for later. Anyway, he ate just fine this morning. No issues. Though, it was a meatball that had been frozen and microwaved the last bit. I'm also curious as to whether he's getting picky that his food is a little warmer than normal.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Stewart Werley

Feb 27, 2018
    I have since been giving Chewie his meatballs that have been frozen. He has not done the weird nose thing with the pre-frozen and thawed out meatballs.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Perhaps, like you said...he was wanting to bury it? Shelties are very smart (smarter than us sometimes), sometimes I wonder what goes on in those wee brains of theirs lol.