Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chewing chest fur

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Tamara Tinsley, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Tamara Tinsley

Tamara Tinsley Forums Novice

Jul 12, 2018
    My sheltie chews her chest fur, now it's stained.
    How can I safely break her of this behavior?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My younger dog Finnie used to chew my other dog Piper's fur for the longest time, seems he's outgrown it but I was given the suggestion of using deodorant on Piper's fur. Supposedly they don't like the taste and will then stop chewing (didn't have much effect here though). Of course there's also the bitter Apple spray, that might make her stop. How old is she and is this something she does all the time?

3. Tamara Tinsley

Jul 12, 2018
    She turned 7 this past June. She's been chewing her fur for the last year or so. I'll bathe her and brush her out, and it's not much time after that that she starts chewing again. At first, my husband thought she was just getting her food on her fur and just cleaning it, but she did it right after I brushed her out. She also nibbles on the top of her leg just above her paw, like she's nervouse. She's done this sence we moved.

4. Tamara Tinsley

Jul 12, 2018
    She's 7. She's been doing this sence we moved over a year ago.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Five bucks says this is an anxiety behavior. As long as her health checks are good, I would consider Rescue Remedy or Zen pets.

HikerDog, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.