Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chinese Food Therapy

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by corbinam, Jan 31, 2014.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Background:
    So I've posted before that I'm a fairly cynical person. I recently realized that I believe in the chiropractor, but even then I wonder about it!

I know I've posted before that Bentley has some serious gastro-intestinal distress. We're not sure the cause, and it's one of those things that isn't serious enough to be diagnosed. It probably is something like "a touch of IBD". Basically, he is not regular (will go days without pooping), then about once a month will have horrible diarrhea for no reason (no change in diet) for a couple days. It will be bad enough that he is up multiple times in the night and will go in his crate during the day.

We've tried multiple food brands, multiple protein sources, and limited ingredient foods--but has still had this issue.

Our trainer recommended that we take the dogs to have food therapy done. She says she doesn't believe in "that kind of stuff" either, but she took all of her dogs and has had amazing results.

In my area, the lady that does this is also a vet, and is also the chiropractor we see.

The Process
    It sounds crazy, but you take a bunch of foods (can be commercial, can be raw, treats, bones, etc.) and she holds the food, then reads the dog's energy in combination with each food.

I had heard of parts of this concept before--it's the idea that some dogs are more "hot" and some are "cold". So "hot" dogs would need/prefer cooling foods, and vice versa. (Here's some information about Chinese Food Therapy for humans).

I totally felt like the whole thing was a little hokey (she basically held her hand over the dog's back to "feel" their energy), but she had some interesting reactions.

The Dogs
    For Bentley, she had just gotten started (we had not mentioned any of his issues) and she was appalled at the majority of the foods and what they did to his energy. She stopped fairly quickly and said "You're going to be special!"--well she definitely nailed it! Apparently Bentley is a very, very hot dog that needs seriously cooling-type foods. It was difficult for her to find a "match" for him. We landed on Pure Vita Salmon food for him, along with some rabbit treats that balanced his energy well.

Lexi was also "hot" but not as much so. She matched well with Acana Grasslands (mostly lamb) and the same rabbit treats.

Both the food and treats are high quality, so we were comfortable making the switch based on this "energy reading" of which we were VERY skeptical.

I figured, I was going to be just "picking" another high quality dog food almost at random in the hopes that it would work better. Not much different than having a vet who knows a lot about nutrition pick one for us. I figured it was worth a shot.

The Results
    As I said, our trainer had amazing results with her dog--and even she has difficulty explaining it. I posted about it on FB and several other people chimed in to say they saw almost immediate results with their dogs--my thoughts were still like "yeah right"!

It's been about 3 weeks since we've been transitioning the dogs' food. They are now both eating 100% of the new food and treats..and shock...there are some serious improvements.

Bentley is regular for the first time in as long as I can remember. He never cries to go out, but goes twice a day, every day, at almost the same times. Literally this was unheard of before. His poops are always normal/the same. He doesn't seem gassy anymore, and his breath is better.

Lexi seemed fine to begin with, but as I said, her results were less "polarizing".

So of course, it's only been a few weeks, but the results have definitely piqued my curiosity.

Here's some information about the lady we went to see.

2. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I find this all so very interesting- wish we had some one here that could test. Hope the goodness continues.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    That is very interesting.

I had someone 25 years ago do that with me and recommend an herbal supplement that balanced what was off with me, so hey.

If the dog feels well and the food is a quality option, that's cool. Best wishes it continues.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    That's interesting about Bentley. I have similar problems with gas with Liam, except Liam will have BM two or three times a day, sometimes really loose. Makes me wonder if it wasn't their surgeries that affected both our boys.

5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    As I said, it happened to work for me, but I am not sold on the therapy being the sole cause. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Any day without having to clean up liquid bodily fluids is a good day -- no matter if science or crystal ball or something in between led you in that direction.

This from someone with 3 cats and 2 dogs and a well-used Hoover carpet cleaner!

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    this concept is as old as earth:smile2:
    even without knowing the concept we tend to like hot soups and hot tea in the winter and prefer light salad and iced tea during hot summer days

9. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Three years ago, when my now 15 1/2 year old Wendell, was diagnosed with Laryngeal Paralysis, I took him to a holistic vet, who practices both traditional Western and Chinese treatments.

By holding his hands over Wendell's body, he said he could tell whether Wendell was "hot" or 'cold' (he was hot).

We didn't change Wendell's food, but my vet sent me home with some Chinese herbs. I have been sprinkling the herbs on his food for 3 years now.

I was very skeptical, but after 3 years, Wendell is still blowing and going, without any invasive surgery.

After about 10 days on the herbs, the gasping for air stopped. I don't even hear him breathe now, unless he gets excited.

I am a convert.

10. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    There was a discussion somewhere else about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM for short) using herbs and stuff. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it works. One mentioned a dog who had such bad leash reactivity which even after 2 years working with him it seemed they were going no where (she's a terrific trainer too). She tried some TCM meant to treat fear on her dog and after 2 weeks, the dog could walked past another dog at a distance he was not normally fine with, without reacting at all.

Coming from the east, TCM is not new. I grew up listening to my mom telling me not to eat too much heaty foods (they cause pimples). I've had fevers and chills go away with a tiny cup of ginseng drink. Vets here are prescribing some very expensive TCM for dogs with cancer too and people swear by it. It's the same with acupuncture (dogs who can't walk start walking again).

Personally, so long as it can benefit, and no bugs, worms or endangered species are involved in the medicine (I was given some TCM that included BEES in it - pot of herbal bee tea anyone?!), I don't see the harm in trying.