Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chronic tummy problems

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Caro, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska has diarrhea and flatulance, it's been on and off for months. Just when I think it's settled, it starts again. Last year he was very impacted with constipation. His senior blood panel is always good.

The constant vet bills are really draining me and I'm sick of butt baths. He is barking a lot (usually a sign of pain). Atm he's on a vet pro-biotic (not helping).

He gets fed 1/4 cup kibble (Eagle Pack grain free salmon), a cooked meal (beef and veggies, or rice if his tummy is upset) and an egg. He's on the light side. He can't have chicken or turkey, but esp Turkey, which that makes it hard to find kibble, and all the prescription diets have chicken. And yes he does still pick up crap off the ground, but I do try hard to get it off him.

Had anyone else experienced this with their senior? Anyone got ideas?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Caro,

I am just astonished that you can’t seem to catch a break for either yourself or your fur family!

I have experienced bouts of diarrhea with my senior dogs but it never went on for a long time. I am just wondering if Deska has something more going on internally like stomach ulcers?

Caro likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I wondered that too. Took him again last week and saw one of the young vets. She just put him on probiotics, after I told her I couldn't afford it. So now I have him booked in to see the usual vet (in a week, she's really booked up), and I'll just need to put off car insurance. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

I've got sucralfate (stomach protector), he used to have it every day. But I thought it was inhibiting nutrient absorption, then a couple of vets said it won't help, even though his normal vet said it would. I know they were wrong, I've taken it myself, but I figured I'd save some money. I guess I'll put him back on it and see. I doubt that would cause flatulance though.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Have you tried putting him on a totally cooked diet? Perhaps it's something in the kibble that's causing the diarrhea? The flatulance could be caused by the type of veggies you use...just like us, as we age certain veggies that never bothered us before can cause gas problems.
    I do, from time to time have issues with my oldest boy (Riley) having diarrhea and then an all cooked diet seems to help get him back on track, I also use Slippery Elm when they get diarrhea ...(you can get it in powder form or capsule, good for diarrhea and constipation) ask your vet first though if it's ok to use it (it's available at health food stores).

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I thought that about the veggies too, I've tried different ones. Only consistent one is potato - so that's next to cut out. Even rice some days he's fine and sometimes it comes out undigested. I've got slippery elm, I used it for myself but it can cause diarrhea. Think I'll cut out the probiotics as it's not helping.

He will love an all cooked diet. They were doing well on Wellness Simple, but I can't get that anymore. I switched them to Eagle Pack for about 6mths but that is a possibility. When we got back to Canberra Tully had lots of upset tummys, but hers has settled down now and Deska's keeps on going.

I worry that his health just seems to decline. He's generally happy but he has gotten so old so quickly.

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Poor baby....I know how hard it is when you become more and more of a caretaker.
    If I was coming to Australia I would try and smuggle some Wellness Simple in for you.

Even without significant tummy issues, I sometimes have to hose down Gavin's bum outside, sometimes he gets wipe downs inside.
    His sanitary cut is definitely pretty severe at times, too.

And as for sucralfate inhibiting nutrient absorption, is it really any worse than the limited nutrient absorption of diarrhea? Did it help?

Caro likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Caro, I second the home-cooked diet Piper's Mom suggested. Flurry has been battling skin issues since spring. We've tested her for everything and tried her on four different dog foods, some of which she didn't like and others gave her gastro issues. A nutritionist from Nature's Farmacy suggested home cooking to me and sent me a recipe...it's just meat and a variety of veggies, plus the necessary supplements. It's been nearly a month and I can't believe the difference. I just throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook once a week, then freeze some and refrigerate the rest. Better for them and cheaper than kibble!

I've started Checkers on it too, since she should be on grain free for the mast cell tumors but I can't find one that isn't full of peas and potatoes. All the other dogs are jealous! I wish I could feed it to all of them. Might be worth a try for Deska.

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Caro remind me, has he been tested for IBD?

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Poop was still soft but not runny, so no butt bath this morn. I guess that's a good sign. I gave him sucrulfate last night.

He gets home cooked for dinner. I had been cooking up a week's worth and freezing (in case I end up in hospital again), but he was still getting runny poops. I must admit, sometimes I get so tired I don't have the energy to cook up lots of meals. I'm sure they would love cooked morning as well. He also gets half an egg twice a day in between meals but I never have enough left over. Couple of years ago he was put on a fish diet, he did okay but then got impacted and lost weight. Tonight I've cooked up some roo mince and the frozen veggies that tend to bind him up (carrot, cauli and broccoli), I'll see if that does anything. He also gets psyllium husks and a senior multi every day.

The vet gave him probiotics, in case he does have IBS. I'm actually on the low FODMAP (LowFo) diet myself (it's the IBS diet), so he only gets lowFo anyway, except for the kibble. Maybe it's time to cut the kibble. So tired...

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Big Hugs...I know how hard it is being a pet caretaker.

Caro likes this.