Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Clicking Sound: Am I worrying too much?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    So Kip is 18 weeks old, and a few days ago I noticed an occasional clicking sound as he walks. It is not loud or repetitive. Just a single quiet click now and then. I notice it particularly when he gets up from a nap, but I hear it other times to. Definitely coming from his rear end (hips? Knees?).

I called my vet yesterday (I was freaking out!!), and explained what was going on. They told me that as long as he isn't limping or showing signs of discomfort, that it didn't warrant a vet visit. They said that it was probably just because he is growing and that I shouldn't worry, but they could check it out at his next exam (which is about 6 months away, now that he is done with puppy shots). I didn't get to talk to the actual vet - just the staff who answers calls.

After making the call I felt about 10% better. Then I started worrying again. Other than the occasional clicking noise he seems fine. He is running and playing completely normally. Just as hyper and cheerful as always. But I just can't stop worrying that something might be really wrong - like a tendon/ligament tear or luxating patellas. I know I might be worrying too much about this, but its really stressing me out!! My GSD mix, Jessie, tore both her ACLs (Both have been repaired by surgery - poor girl), so I'm always really paranoid that Kip is going to get hurt too.

So I'm thinking that maybe I'll wait a week or so, and keep a close eye on Kip for any discomfort. If I still hear the noise, I'll make an appointment. The vet might think I'm being silly, but at least I'll know what's going on!!

Any thoughts, or experience with 'clicking puppies'?

Ann, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I wouldn't be overly concerned (although I admit to getting worked up when my boy Piper was 4 months old and I thought he was too skinny. Nope, vet said he was perfect lol), puppies have a lot of growing to do. Have you ever seen an X-ray of a puppies skeleton? There's a lot of space between them bones! Keep an eye on it yes, but don't get too worried. Heck, my joints click sometimes but it doesn't mean I've hurt myself.
    I will add that I tried to keep the zoomies to a minimum (for fear of injury) with both my boys when they were pups and I never let my older boy Piper run with Finnie when he was small...I worried they'd over do it.

ghggp and Hanne like this.
  3. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks for your response, Piper's mom. That makes me feel a bit better:) My ankle clicks too... and I'm young and never hurt my ankle. But he's my baby!!

I also have a GSD mix (50 lbs!) and a Catahoula mix (40 lbs), and I do not let them play with Kip much. I know they'd love too, but Kip is too small and I don't want him to get hurt.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Piper's mom, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I think we all here on SN are silly or rather crazy when it comes to our fur babies :winkgrin:

I am in every case - even a lot :ROFLMAO:

Sharon7, RikyR, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    We all worry. It is because we care and are concerned! Better to be on high alert than the alternative!

Keep a watchful eye out and let us know what the vet says when you see him.

Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Oh Heavens, I think it’s part of Sheltie Syndrome. Cooper sneezes and I am Googling. lol. Just keep a Motherly eye as you are. :)

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm going to go against the grain of everyone here who told you not to worry. I had a puppy who I noticed clicking in her rear end at around 4 months. I couldn't hear it, but I could feel it when she moved. I kept hoping it was developmental and she'd grow out of it. She never showed any sign of pain or discomfort (until much later). At six months, my vet recommended that their chiropractic vet take a look at her. Thank goodness I did, she had hip displaysia...in both hips. We xrayed her at just over a year old and it was very clear. You could tell in her gait too by then that something was wrong.

Just after her first birthday, I had an FHO done on her first hip (femoral head ostrectomy) and waited a year before we did the same procedure on the second one. It was a miracle cure. After both hips were done and she healed, she was a different dog...perfectly normal! I'm so glad I noticed and treated it early and didn't wait until she was older and the damage was more severe.

My advice to you is to find a vet who does chiropriactic work and have a consult done with your puppy. A good chiropratic vet can put his hands on the dog and tell you what's wrong without even an xray. They can also help make the dog comfortable and recommend the best course of treatment. It may be nothing, or your puppy may grow out of, it and it may only be one hip, knee, or joint. But finding out now is much better than waiting.

8. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    I hope we have a chiropractic vet here. I'm not sure.

Thanks for your advice, Ann. I really, really, really, hope it isn't hip dysplasia. Kip's parents have OFA excellent and good hips.
    I'm going to wait a few more days to see if the sound goes away, then make an appointment. Worrying about this is driving me crazy. I just want him to be healthy and happy.

KarenCurtis, Ann and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    When did she start showing discomfort?
    I'm a bit concerned about Kip getting X-rays since he is so young..

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I didn't do xrays until she was a year old. That's where the chiro vet was good. She could feel the dog when she was six months old and tell what was going on. Sometimes your vet knows one they can refer you to. I'd start there and ask.

Mine didn't exhibit any symptoms until after she was a year old, before her first procedure. Then we could tell she'd limp sometimes and her gait was funny. That's not to say your boy has a hip problem, but I think the click is worth having checked, for your peace of mind at least.

KarenCurtis, Elei and ghggp like this.