Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Coat changes

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Feb 9, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm really enjoying this phase of Willow's coat. When she was younger the undercoat would matt easily while her coat got longer as she grew. I combed her daily.

Then she blew her coat between her first heat and her first birthday and spay. That meant bagfuls of undercoat every day and the topcoat thinning.

Now her coat has changed, the undercoat doesn't matt much unless there's a burr or other foreign body. She's becoming a very easy dog to groom. I don't have to brush the hair off of my clothes either and I can once again wear black.

So, is this typical?

Darren, ghggp, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Lol I don't find mine are losing less fur or matt less. If I go to obedience class wearing black my left pant leg will be covered in fur lol. I do find that Finnie has very soft fur that doesn't matt easilly and always looks like he was just brushed whereas Piper's fur is coarser and always looks messy, even after a brushing.

GlennR, Hanne, Darren and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie seems to have a thin, soft coat - don't think he is as heavy coated as Willow. He's sort of a hot mess right now. In some ways his coat looks nicer. In fact, hubby was just mentioning tonight that the top of his ruff looks so nice now and soft. Sections of his butt have filled out nicely, on top. He has barely any pants any more but such a beautiful tail!

Every so often, stuff just appears. Like we woke up, and there were these two sections of longer black hair right behind his front legs that show promise of a future coat with a bit longer hair, but right now are only maybe 10 strands of black hair that is a bit longer than the others.

He def doesn't have a full, poufy coat nor do I think he ever will, but neither his dad nor mom were puff balls. Grandpa seemed to have quite a coat, but Brodie seems more 'petite' like not as thick a snout. This was G'pa....

https://www.sheltiesonline.com/ad_archive_2009/belmark_1_112809.jpg

Will be interesting to see how Brodie's coat develops the next few years. He still doesn't shed much (compared to me and our double coated orange cat).

GlennR, Darren, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    "Is it typical" was your question...and the answer is it depends on the line!
    I am thoroughly enjoying this easy time with Benson's coat. He blew about the same time as Willow, even though he's quite a bit older. What can I say the boy is a late bloomer LOL This is fine with me cuz he is NOT very good on the table. I got maybe three brush fulls of hair last time total. I can hold him and not be covered with hair. Black is back :)

When Fil was this age his coat wasn't full either, and I remember thinking something was wrong! Around 3 and 1/2 years old whammo! Now I have to trim his feathers and belly hang and pants to get them off the ground. I don't even want to discuss the undercoat LOL He is his father's boy and Koko's coat is even bigger.
    I have only seen pictures of Benson's sire, but based on those and personal knowledge of Koko's, I'm in for one huge coat when Benson's comes in.
    So check out Willow's line---odds are you'll see where she's going to end up.
    Personally I would love it if Benson was like this forever ;)

GlennR, Sharon7, Darren and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    gavin is another coarse coated sheltie. doesn’t matt easily and sheds dirt well. but he can stubbornly hold onto his undercoat

GlennR, Sharon7, Darren and 2 others like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Same with Minnie - does not matt easily and sheds dirt well
    Yes, but we must not let ourselves be fooled:gaah

- I could easily brush Minnie and she looks so fine,
    there is not much fur on the brush.
    I think I was a good mom and took good care of her coat :hide

One day I discovered - if I - think you call it "Line brushing"
    Without much work - I could get a huge pile of under wool
    and I can easily do that every 14 days

When I discovered this, I was actually thinking about
    the poor Shelties whose family do not know the way to brush
    .:cry:

GlennR, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Girls and boys coat differently depending on whether they are intact or not. Boys can still get really full and bushy depending on how old they are when they're neutered. The later the neuter, the more coat they will have.

Girls are similar, but typically a spayed girl will carry less undercoat and the topcoat becomes longer and more drapey. As others have said, this depends to a great extent on their line, but as a general rule spayed girls will have a longer outer coat that looks less full and thinner undercoat.

GlennR, Sharon7, Darren and 1 other person like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am really disappointed by the lack of undercoat Liam seems to have! He has barely any undercoat! Last year at this time he had quite a bit. Most of my shelties carried a full undercoat in winter. Not sure why Liam is the exception to the rule. Beau is a poof ball and Baron is my yack! He carried enough coat for three shelties. At first, I thought it was because I keet my house warmer - 69-71. However, that can't really be a variable since the other 2 have profuse coats!
    Liam has the big snip in a few weeks and is 18 months now... Hoping he eventually coats up like Willow!

GlennR, Sharon7, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  9. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Montys previous 'owners' had just randomly cut away at his fur so it was long in places, short in others, bald in spots as well. What was left of his undercoat was all knotted and full of matts so I had to cut emost of it off. He now has quite a nice soft top coat that has grown in but he has very little undercoat. I'm hoping it will grow in at some point but it has been nearly 6 months and there's still no sign of it coming back :((
    It does make him easy to groom though with just a big poofy and silky top coat.

GlennR, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Just look at that pic! White poofball with a head!! :) (he's so stinkin'cute)

I have to say I was surprised when Benson's breeder claimed my all natural diet made their coat too soft. She wants a coarser coat for shows...guess less work making all the hair stand up LOL (I have no idea, never showed)
    I loved the silky flowing look, guess its wrong technically.