Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Coat density question

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by ghggp, Nov 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, so yesterday all the boys had professional grooming. My groomer was concerned about the lack of coat on Liam. His coat is very sparse. No undercoat to speak of. It seems weird as both his parents carried massive coats. She asked if I had done a thyroid test on him.

So, just curious, if anyone else has encountered this in their young shelties... he is 16 months now.
    I have attached a few pictures for reference. I guess I always felt Thyroid tests were for older dogs... like 5 or 6. Thoughts?

IMG_3937.jpg IMG_3946.jpg

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I had concerns about Jocu's coat a few years ago and did get his thyroid tested. it was fine. Show dogs get a little more AC to help those coats be big and floofy....
    Jocu likes to lay outside in the 90 deg heat so it's unlikely he'll ever get coat like his show parents had....
    Plus there's natural variation- if Destin's sister had a coat like his as a younger dog, she'd have been winning in the show ring. He hasn't gotten really floofy but again - warm temps that they live in....

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, both Beau and BAron have huge coats... they are the same environment as Liam... weird.
    Hopefully, he will coat up for the winter...

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I should add that Jocu has undercoat- seems I never get it all....
    his outer coat isn't all that long.
    guessing it's genetics.....

ghggp likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I have the same problem with Flurry who is two now. She has outer coat but no undercoat at all. She has skin allergies so we've attributed it to that. I did test her thyroid with specialized tests and it was absolutely normal, so we know it's not that. I have her on a new supplement recommended by my holistic vet and I am hoping her undercoat comes in for winter. Like Liam, both her parents carry profuse coat, which makes me think the allergies must be the culprit. It's a mystery. :confused2:

Sandy in CT, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It's a mystery... for sure!

I guess I will wait for winter as he seemed to have an undercoat last year... fingers crossed.
    2019-11-05_13-31-48.jpg 2019-11-05_13-32-18.jpg

Hanne, Margi, Ann and 3 others like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Benson is 19 months and what the breeder calls coyote naked. Not a whit of undercoat after he blew it all about a month+ ago. It will come back and when it does oh lordy I'm in for a big coated dog. He may be three + before he gets it all so Imma gonna enjoy the easy brushing while I can!

DianeP, Ann, Calliesmom and 1 other person like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Maybe that is where Laim is at... he just blew all his coat!

Margi and Calliesmom like this.
  9. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie is the same. At 21 months of age his coat is just coming in. Totally different from Piper who had a lush coat at a year and they're related! Give him time...it'll come.

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.