Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Collar with Frontline?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Sandy in CT, May 21, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We are in CT, are just fine with the Frontline we use on the dogs while at home and on our trail hikes, etc. But where my son is now in residence seems to be tick heaven. I don't want to keep Brodie away from the weekend visits because they are just SO beneficial, but the ticks creep me out. The last two weekends I have found a dead tick on him after each visit.

At home, we have cleared the edges of our property, we mulch, remove ALL leaves in the fall (neighbors think we are nuts as we do have a large piece of property) and treat the perimeter 2 - 3 times per season with a flower based application.

Aside from wrapping us both up in saran wrap, is there something I can put on Brodie like a collar while he has Frontline on?

I do have cats, so have to be careful with medications since some can't be used with cats. Or is the Frontline working since they are dead? I think in all our years with dogs, even when camping, we have only found 1 - 2 ticks on our dogs. When we walk, we NEVER let them off the pavement to roam, we are quite careful with them and it's all been good until now.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Frontline does not work very well here, but if you are finding dead ticks, then it must be doing the job. I don't know about doubling up on anything - remember it's all some kind of poison, and how good can that really be for our dogs long term? But yes tick control is very necessary. I think you're probably OK just sticking with what you are doing. I don't think anything repels them, the ticks still get on, but they die soon after they bite.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've used Fiproguard past years and if I remember correctly it's a generic version of Frontline. It actually starts to kill a tick as soon as they start walking on the dog (it's in the fur) so the tick doesn't actually have to bite the dog in order to get the poison. 3 years ago I took Piper to an outdoor show in a more rural area and that evening I found 9 ticks on him and most were either dead or almost dead and none had latched on. I think your good with just the frontline.
    I want to give Piper and Finnie a dose but I don't know how to keep them separated for the first 24 hours (Finnie is forever biting Piper's fur)...honestly, I think I'd have to put a cone on Finnie! Fortunately ticks aren't too bad here, so long as I walk them in residential neighborhoods and avoid long grass.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I wouldn't double up on the chemicals...they're strong and each carry their own hazards. We live in tick heaven too and besides having our yard treated professionally with cedar oil, I use Frontline and also spray the dogs with a combination of apple cider vinegar and water daily in high tick season. I admit I am amazed at how well it works! Maybe you could try that when Brodie is at your son's.

Just mix one part ACV to three parts water in a spray bottle and spritz the dog. I brush the coat lightly to get it in after I spray them but you don't have to. It won't hurt them and they can even lick it and it's fine. And they only smell like salad for a few minutes! It repels ticks and other insects too.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thanks! Will try the ACV. I am a white vinegar fan - it's my daily cleaner. Brodie may end up with a nice trim waist since ACV is reumoured to help with staying trim!

Ann likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thanks for the tip Ann, I'm definitely going to try this!

Ann likes this.
  7. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I'd read somewhere too that Frontline would get into the fur and could kill the tick before it bites. I guess it depends upon whether the tick ends up someplace with lots of fur it has to get through before it finds skin, or if it ends up someplace where the skin is readily accessible and can bite before the Frontline in the fur kills it.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    But the frontline goes through all the fur so just by walking on the dog the poison slowly starts working on the tick and within hours it's dead. For Lyme the tick has to be latched on for 48 hours to transmit it and they're dead long before that.

SRW likes this.
  9. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I was figuring that it would take the tick a lot longer to get through thick fur like that on the back or neck, such that it would die before getting to the skin; but if it started out say near the top of the back leg on the inside it wouldn't have far to go to get to the relatively fur-less skin where the underside of the back leg meets the body and would likely be able to bite before it succumbed to the poison. I really don't know though how long the tick can live once it's been exposed to the poison, or if that time is variable depending upon how much poison it absorbs, and I would also assume it absorbs more poison faster digging through a lot of thick fur versus just crawling over light fur like on the inside of the back leg.

10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Three years ago I was at an outdoor show and that evening Piper had 9 ticks on him...all of them were either dead or almost dead. None had latched on. I've also never found any on the inside of the back leg, always ears, under collar or inside front leg, just in the crook.