Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Colonel Underpants Becomes a Service Dog

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Chris, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beckon (aka Colonel Underpants) has taken on a new role. He is now DH's service dog. He signals Brad when he has been sitting for too long and needs to walk. In public places, he walks at heel with Brad, and when people approach, he places himself between Brad and the stranger. He exhibits vigilance in crowds and at outings, protecting Brad's six (as in "check your six, i.e. rear area). For someone with a TBI and PTSD, this is invaluable. DH will be able to out among people more -- he has tended to be reclusive, and he knows that isn't good for his mental or physical health.

It's amazing how he changes completely when wearing his vest. Since Brad's injury, he's become the house watchdog. He sleeps downstairs in the foyer in front of the door, guarding. I'm so proud of him.

And yes, Penny is still Brad's emotional support dog. Now, depending on his needs at the time, he has flexibility. God bless this amazing breed!!

Shelby's mom, Jams, JacqueZ and 8 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Chris, I was just in tears (happy ones) reading of Beckon's new role as a service dog! I am just amazed by your post.
    WOW, I am so impressed at him taking his duties so seriously with the support of Penny too. What a treasure he is!
    You are so right to say... "God bless this amazing breed!"

Chris and JacqueZ like this.
  3. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Great post, and congrats to Beckon for his new role. He is doing a great job. You sure can be proud of him.

Chris and ghggp like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is fantastic, Chris. You have such a special herd there! It sounds like Beckon and Penny really have a special role in Brad's life. Did Beckon have to have special training for his new job? I am always in awe of how smart our Shelties are. Pats to your helpers!

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Isn't it amazing how our dogs increase the quality of our lives on so many levels. I am very impressed by Beckon taking this duty on. And how wonderful that Penny is serving also as a support dog. It really chokes me up. I think our dogs love living up to their potential, instead of just shunted off into the backyard like some folks do, just a yard ornament. I have found over the years that really paying observant attention to my dogs and their needs and wants has tightened our bond so much.

Hugs to you and your hubby and all the fur critters.

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I am not surprised, he is a Colonel after all. Great job Beckon! The troops are very proud of you! Woof Woof Woof!!

KarenCurtis, JacqueZ and ghggp like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh, Chris, what a nice post to start the day with.
    I really understand you are proud of "the Colonel"
    I am completely touched - :hugs to Beckon

ghggp likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That is so wonderful. It must be so good for you and DH too that he can take on this role and your DH can be more independent. Of course we all knew the Colonel had it in him!

ghggp likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Amazingly, he trained himself. Ever since Brad was injured and sustained his traumatic brain injury, Beckon has been attending to Brad's health more and more closely. WHen he started urging Brad to get up to walk and, more recently, standing between Brad and strangers, plus watching all around him, we knew he had appointed himself a service dog with precise skills.

Ann, Hanne, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Congratulations Colonel Underpants! Sandstorm is very proud of you! Shelties are amazing!