Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Colonel Underpants Under Threat

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Chris, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beckon (aka Colonel Underpants) had a needle biopsy done on a thickened area on his left thigh. The preliminary results are worrisome:

"The specimens are composed primarily of scattered, necrotic cellular and
    proteinaceous debris and free lipid-like or sebaceous type material admixed with an inflammatory fraction
    and exceptionally infrequent, individualized pleomorphic nucleated cells.
    The very limited density of intact pleomorphic cells, relative paucity of cytologic criteria of
    malignancy and concomitant inflammation make definitive cytologic diagnosis of a neoplasm problematic.
    The specimen does not rule out a malignant neoplasm. Potential differential diagnoses include
    hyperplasia/dysplasia secondary to primary inflammatory process or trauma, or poorly exfoliative neoplasm
    (benign or malignant)."

In other words, there are some cells that look like soft tissue sarcoma, but since there don't seem to be too many, it's hard to say that it's definitely cancer.

So on Friday, Colonel Underpants will have a biopsy done to see if it's cancer and if so, at what stage it is. If it's cancer, treatment options run from surgical excision of the malignancy to amputation of the leg. Whatever the result, we are prepared to take action. The Colonel would appreciate your prayers and healing thoughts.

2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Incoming healing thoughts from AZ! We got your six!
    Geez helluva way to start the new year...
    How long till results come back? My husband always said waiting for his cancer test results was like sitting on a needle...

RikyR, Hanne, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Colonel Underpants will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers! I agree with Margi, crappy way to start the new year. Praying for a positive outcome!

Hanne, ghggp and Chris like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin had a soft tissue cell sarcoma. the time between the initial needle biopsy (could be cancer, we need to do a full biopsy) until the results came back from the full biopsy was the hardest part. I was afraid it might be osteosarcoma and the leg would have to go, too. They didn't know what it was until a biopsy after surgery (where they couldn't get it all).

Your needle biopsy results are a lot more scattered than Gavin's. It could still very well be nothing but an infection. My thoughts are with you....it is so difficult when we can't tell our pups what is going on.....

Piper's mom, ghggp and Chris like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Crapola. We don't want Colonel Underpants to be under siege!!! Seriously Chris I'm super sorry you are having your New Year start out on this note. You are both in my prayers and I hope the biopsy is definitive and fingers crossed it's something other than cancer. So glad you probably caught this early. That heavy Sheltie coat can really hide stuff.....

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Oh Chris, I'm sorry to hear about the Colonel! I've been through several of these with Checkers from the needle aspiration to the surgery. She is 13 and recovered well from three different surgeries in the last 18 months. She's now on a regimen of twice daily holistic drops that despite all predictions has kept her last spindle cell sarcoma from recurring, so far. The holistic vet I work with is in North Carolina, specializes in cancer and consults by phone if you want his information once you know what the DX is. Sending prayers and pats for your boy.

Hanne, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Chris, many prayers coming your way for the biopsy to be ruled benign. Colonel Underpants is blessed to be in your hands as I know you will do whatever is in his best interest no matter what the dx turns out to be.
    Trini

8. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    Just remember big scary words don't always mean the worst. Me and River feel you! Take care.

RikyR, Hanne, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh no, I do hope it turns out to be nothing bad. Will be thinking of Beckon and you.

Chris, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No... it can not be...
    My boys and I are ruling any threat to be stopped in its tracks! We have your flank Colonel Underpants!
    We will pray for a positive RX! You are in good hands.
    Keep us troops informed...
    Pats from me, licks from the boys!