Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

color and character

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by susan, Jul 27, 2015.

1. susan

susan Forums Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    netherlands
    Hi, I am new here.
    I have a tri color sheltie and he is 12 and a half years old. I lost my sable sheltie 1 year ago due to epileptie (he was 3 years old ) Now I am looking to get a new puppy, but I was wondering if there is a connection between color and character? Because a lot (almost every ) sable I know is less spicier than a tri color or a blue merle. My first and seccond dog (both sable) where not that "fierce " in agility as my tri color was in his young years. Anybody has an idea on that matter?

(I wanted to apologies for my english, it is not that great).

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Welcome, Susan. Your English is fine. :smile2: I am so sorry for the loss of your sable so young...any loss is heartbreaking but it is doubly hard when they should still have a long life ahead.

Although I think personality is very individual no matter the color, it has been my personal experience that the tris and blues I have had do/did tend to be much busier than my sables who have been more laid back and easy going.

Trini

3. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    I'd definitely say it varies dog to dog. In my own experience I do see a lot more sass in the darker dogs. My tri and bi-black are drivey, sassy and live to play agility or go herding. My sable girl is much lower energy and laid back. I originally wanted to play agility with her, but now we're focusing on therapy work instead. It suits her better. She would much rather let the boys play those silly games. Could just be coincidence though. My sable comes from conformation lines and my two boys are from a breeder who competes in agility and rally etc.

4. susan

susan Forums Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    netherlands
    Thanks for the response! I find this very interesting..
    Joonie, if I may ask, what do you mean by "therapy work " ?

5. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    Oh, yes! I mean that I volunteer with her at local hospitals and nursing homes as an emotional support dog. We visit elderly folks and people that are recovering from injuries or surgeries...or anyone that would benefit from having a dog around. She's certified through Therapy Dogs International as a "Tail Waggin Tutor" as well so we're involved in a reading program with young kids during the school year. Very rewarding!

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    2 of each

Can I interject that my sables have been higher energy and sassier...than my tricolored girls...

Savannah and Taraleigh (my 1st) -fast runners, energizer bunnies, never met anyone they didn't like, could play fetch and retrieve for hrs. Vim and vigor.

My tricolors-laid back, not much on exerting much effort or energy, prefer lounging and napping to most activities, or observing stuff rather than joining in. Both were very much lapdogs, and wanted to be held. I tease Kaleigh that she acts old, she just likes to stop and sniff the roses...

I guess it varies...but for me it has been opposite...

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

This is personaly heresay only, but I do personally feel sables are less maintenance than other colours! No science behind this...just personal experience

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think that black is spicer than brown. It does depends on genetics and lines though.

My younger AOACs are from conformation lines chosen for their activity and drive. So we tend to have most active types.

An interesting thing I have noticed here in Minnesota Black/merles do agility , sables do obedience. Um makes you think.

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Our sable and our bi-black couldn't be more polar opposites.

Our sable was very much a Velcro dog, more high strung, much more eager to please. Would get very upset if you were not happy with her. Very emotional.

Our bi-black is a very independent dog, could care less if we are mad at her or happy with her, to her everything in life is a game and nothing should be taken seriously. If you get mad at her for something she looks at you like she is telling you to just get over it and move on.

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Hello and welcome! I have four sable Shelties. Each is completely different. Layla is mellow and gentle -- she works as a therapy dog; Bitsy Boodle is ball obsessed; Annie Laurie is the fun police; and Beckon is a shy boy around strangers.

I think they're as different as children are different from one another. :smile2:

Christopher Lanier likes this.