Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Concerned about height

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by CCrazy about sheltie, Jul 1, 2016.

1. CCrazy about sheltie

CCrazy about sheltie Forums Novice

Jun 11, 2016
    I am concerned my Sheltie is going to be huge! He is already 20 pounds and only five months old. I have tried measuring him at the withers, but what a challenge. My best guess is he is about 15". this is our fourth Sheltie and I never kept growth records, though one was on the large size, two were within the standard for height.

Other than his size, he is a sweetheart. Super outgoing and loves everyone he meets. Always smiling, tail wagging. I just had not planned on a larger Sheltie, though we all know it is a tough breed to breed for sizes!! I might add, he is on Fromms puppy gold and devours it. He has been getting the recommended serving for his weight, which is 1-7/8 cups.

Your thoughts?

2. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    If anything positive could come of being concerned, I'd say, be concerned. Otherwise, be reconciled to the fact that your Sheltie is going to be bigger than normal. I've got a big one, and I wouldn't trade him for anything!

dream2012 likes this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I have the opposite situation. My Spirit Joy is a tiny little girl, standing 12 inches and weighing 12 pounds at 2 years of age. At 5 months she was about 8 inches and 8 pounds. There is a HUGE amount of variability when it comes to sheltie size, but it doesn't matter, they are the GREATEST breed ever. Enjoy your puppy :)

dream2012 likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It sure sounds like he's going to be oversize. Male Shelties can grow until they're 18 months old, although growth usually slows down by 12 months. As long as he's healthy and happy, you just have a big Sheltie. If you're curious though, call your breeder and ask about the size in his line -- although this can vary greatly even in the same litter!

dream2012 likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    A good way to measure is put a piece of paper on the wall, hold a treat to their nose and while their standing their mark across their back with a long pencil. Make it a wide piece of paper so you have plenty of room because they never quite stand exactly where you want. Sort of like you do with kids when they grow, but faster because dogs won't stand still that long. Not the most accurate approach but it's a nice record to keep - I've still got the growth paper from when my two were younger. I've noticed that Deska has shrunk half an inch with age.

dream2012 likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - thanks for a great tip :yes:

"Sort of like you do with kids when they grow, but faster because dogs won't stand still that long". :lol::lol::lol:

7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Bailey was an oversized Sheltie. I remember we took him traveling with us when he was young to visit family, DH's cousin looked at his paws and said he's going to be big and he was right. Most of his life he was taken for a small collie due to size as much as looks.

8. CCrazy about sheltie

Jun 11, 2016
    Thank you for your comments. Let me make it clear, this sweet pup is not going anywhere and, like you, would not trade him for anything. I love him, his personality, activity level, etc. if he were tiny and shy, I would still love him. This is our fourth Sheltie and the most affectionate of the three. I was just trying to get a feel for his potential size. We have never given up a dog due to size!!

9. CCrazy about sheltie

Jun 11, 2016
    Ann, I didn't realiZe male Shelties can grow unti 18 months! My three were finished growing under one year, but then, of course, filled out.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    They don't grow a lot after 12 months, but we notice it with show dogs that you're watching like a hawk to be sure they don't creep up that extra quarter inch over 16, LOL. Some will settle back a fraction as they mature after that age too.

Girls are done growing when they go into season for the first time (usually around 12 months) but they do mature and fill out over the next year or two.

dream2012 likes this.