Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Considering a playmate for Drake....

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Ian & Danielle, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Forums Regular

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Just putting it out there...... I'm wondering if it would be a good thing to get Drake a playmate. He's an "only dog" but is virtually never left at home alone and he seems fine when we occasionally have to go out to shop,... He comes with us when we visit friends & as we've got him certified as a service dog, he comes with us virtually everywhere else we go.

Drake is 4 years old & is a very gentle and loving soul,.... and he is quite submissive in the presence of other dogs at times, although he has started to assert his right to personal space of late with a few bullies he has met when we have been out & about.

For instance,.... A "bully" dog will annoy him when he is returning his ball to us & Drake will simply drop his ball & let the aggressive dog take his ball,.... No fight, no argument, just submits. Same when another dog gets a bit too aggressive in play & running about,..... Drake just turns his back on the other dog & sits down.

My concern is that if we get a playmate, it could backfire if the dog we get is dominant & then poor Drake may end up miserable,.... & I cannot bear the thought of that.

Should we perhaps only look at a pup (ish) at 6 - 9 months old in the hope that Drake will "lead" & the young guy will follow along with some similar traits ?

Thoughts anyone ?

:)

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    All I can tell you is, when we had our first Sheltie Skye, we couldn't bring ourselves to tempt fate and get another one until she was 13!!! She was the "perfect" dog for us and we just dithered on whether adding another would ruin her/our nice lives. But she always really liked other dogs, so after fostering one for a few months (which went well) we decided it was now or never, it wouldn't be fair to bring in a pup if advanced age made it a pain for her. And, it was the BEST THING EVER. We got Asta as a 10 week old pup. It didn't take us long to realize, we'd never be just a one dog family again. It really was great for Skye and for us.

After Skye passed, Asta was not quite two and lonely, so we added Ally, who was 1 1/2 at the time. The dynamic duo was incredibly bonded for all their lives. We added Brooke as a third when Asta and Ally were 11. Faith came at a time when "faith" in anything good was being tested as we lost Asta unexpectedly to a stroke at age 12. A year and a half later, Ally passed from multiple health issues at 14.

My thought is you can sure screen for personality before you say yes to another dog. Canada has many reputable breeders, and also Sheltie rescue. The breeders should be able to let you know the temperament of their dogs. We also did not want an alpha dog to come in and boss everyone around; and we've been able to avoid that.

With two humans - you can each have a dog in your laps!!! Win-win!! :yes: :winkgrin:

Ian & Danielle likes this.
  3. Ian & Danielle

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Thanks Sharon !

I've just sent off an email to Coastalview Shelties (Drakes breeder) to see what options she might have for us,.... I'll look further afield if the need arises...... Lets see what happens.... :)

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    A second dog is a "gateway" dog. Don't do it. You'll wind up with five of them... And you'll never know such exasperation or such joy. Seriously though, I highly recommend more than one. Especially since there are two humans. Two humans- two dogs. I really don't think I could ever go back to just one again.

5. Ian & Danielle

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Got word back from Drakes breeder last night,...... She's looking at potentially having a litter born in January, for adoption in late March.....

Given we know Judy & that she knows how we are totally smitten with Drake,.... & she loves the life he has with us, there won't be any hoops to jump through as far as being "qualified" to own a Sheltie is concerned.....

There is one wildcard though......

Just south of us there is this chap.....

Danielle's first reaction,..... "Awwwww........ Just,..... look,.... at,...... that,..... Face....."

If that isn't code for : "Go for it",.... Then nothing is....

sable.jpg

We will find out today if he's already been adopted.... If not,...... Oh my,.... That's one pile of "cute" in a small package...... If he has,.... I'll get out the tissues, suck it up,..... & chat with Judy about a late March puppy....

But there's also a Bi-Blue listed,..... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

:)

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    what she said:winkgrin:
    although I have managed to maintain at just 4 shelties

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I had that same fear bringing a new sheltie into my pack. When I was searching for a tri I found a lovely retired male and was hoping to get him. When I asked about his temperament... well, that was the deal breaker... HE WAS DOMINANT! No, go for my pack. They were all so sweet and gentle...

When I found Baron they said he was on the shy side and NOT APHA or dominate at all. He turned out to be great!

Good luck in your search... one sheltie is never enough!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    well said! So true from my experience!

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    In case you haven't heard, Shelties are like potato chips......and you know where THAT goes! :ROFLMAO:

Full disclosure: We have five, soon to be six. Mind you, we didn't start out to have six. It just happened to us. Hello, my name is Ann, and I'm addicted to Shelties.........:bag:

10. Ian & Danielle

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Hmmmmm,......

The Little Sable boy has gone to a new home already,..... The Bi Blue is "almost gone" (while the prospective new owners are dithering),..... So all hope is not lost,..... But there may be a chance at a 6 month old that the breeder wasn't going to part with because of his colouring alone,..... We only live 3 hours drive away so a car trip with Drake in the back might be happening.....