Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Contacting a Breeder - Should I?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Elei, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Hi!
    I am a new member, and this is my first post:) I am a huge dog lover and agility enthusiast. My first dog was a Sheltie (a CHW sable) and she passed away at age 15 last year. I have been planning on getting a puppy for a few years. The puppy will be my agility partner, hiking buddy, and companion/friend. I have a fenced yard, lots of time to spend with my dogs, and live in a rural area. I am active, and enjoy teaching my dogs tricks. I would like either a Sheltie or a Border Collie, and think my life would fit either breed well. Most of my dogs have been rescues, so contacting breeders is new (frightening!) territory for me.

So my dilemma/situation is: I have been on a wait list for a puppy from an excellent Border Collie breeder for over a year. The breeder is planning a litter, but its not a sure thing (I know, breeding is never a sure thing, but there are reasons that this planned litter is 'extra unlikely'). I would love to get a puppy from this breeder, but I also don't want to wait forever.

I know of an excellent Sheltie breeder. I love her dogs. If the BC litter doesn't happen, this Sheltie breeder would be my top pick for a Sheltie puppy. But I don't personally know the breeder, and I'm nervous about contacting her, and want to make a good impression. I'm not sure if it would be ok (polite) to contact the Sheltie breeder now, inquire about her breeding plans and see if I can get on a wait list. I would be honest and tell her I am already on a wait list for another breeder. Or should I wait to find out if the BC litter is going to happen or not before contacting her? I'm concerned that if I wait to long, I will miss out on future litters, but I also don't want to waste a breeder's time by getting on a wait list, and then not get a pup from them.
    I should know one way or another about the BC litter by late October.

Sandy in CT and Wendy C like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hello, and welcome to the Forum! I'm very sorry about the loss of your girl. Absolutely, contact the Sheltie breeder. Just introduce yourself, explain your goals and what you've told us here. Most Sheltie breeders also have waiting lists, so there's no such thing as contacting one too soon. A good breeder won't ask you to commit to anything before a litter is on the ground, and many times, people on waiting lists don't take a puppy when it's offered for various reasons so it's always good to have your name in.

Breeders can be busy with shows, puppies, and taking care of multiple dogs, so email is a good first method of contact if you have one. If not, call. Good luck with your search!

corbinam, Elei, KarenCurtis and 2 others like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Welcome! I’m rather new to the forum and there is so much good info here. :). I found my breeder and emailed with all kinds of information about myself and lifestyle and was lucky enough to get my Cooper in the next litter of 7. I wasn’t looking to show, nor did I care about the sex or the colour...just a happy healthy pup and I think we have that. Good luck and again nice to meet you!

4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I like what Ann said - do it! I contacted a breeder 3 years before we brought home Brodie. I had to wait that long for hubby to cave and for a pup I wanted came around. PS: when the pup was finally born, we chose a different one! And bad guy hubby loves his Brodie; bought him a kiddie pool and Fubbles (fun bubbles) both of which Brodie is not interested in but hey, our 'baby' is off to college in the fall so we are allowed.... :)

Hanne, Elei, KarenCurtis and 2 others like this.
  5. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice! I really appreciate it. I will email the breeder and see what happens. I am so excited! I really love this breeder's dogs - they're titled in obedience & agility, and conformation.

Do you think a longer or shorter email is best for first contact? I was going to write about my goals, my lifestyle, my dog/Sheltie experience, and that comes out to several paragraphs.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I like to see more about prospective homes. It shows that you're serious and that you will be a good home. A very short email with no information can easily be filed and forgotten. I wouldn't go on for pages, but I certainly think including info about your goals/lifestyle/how and where the pup will live are good, and if you have previous Sheltie experience I would definitely include that. Many breeders will ask if you have a fenced yard so if you do, or plan to, I'd include that too.

7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Good luck to you, I know it can be confusing! I got my puppy a couple of months ago, from the breeder I wanted to buy from originally. It almost did not work out, but the people on this forum helped so much! Ann! And you're right, you don't want to wait too long! Welcome.

8. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Karen, I've looked at the pictures of your Minnie: She is adorable! The sables all remind me so much of my first Sheltie.

I think my email will be at least a few paragraphs when I finish it. I do have a fenced yard, and I live on 50 acres so lots of room for a Sheltie to explore. T
    I have some good references.Do you usually wait to provide references until the breeder asks, or provide them right away?
    Thanks!!

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I would wait for the breeder to respond to you, and yes! Minnie is adorable, thanks!

Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    50 acres?? I don't have 50 feet across the back! Can we come live with you?? ;)

Hanne, Ann and KarenCurtis like this.