Hi! I am a new member, and this is my first post I am a huge dog lover and agility enthusiast. My first dog was a Sheltie (a CHW sable) and she passed away at age 15 last year. I have been planning on getting a puppy for a few years. The puppy will be my agility partner, hiking buddy, and companion/friend. I have a fenced yard, lots of time to spend with my dogs, and live in a rural area. I am active, and enjoy teaching my dogs tricks. I would like either a Sheltie or a Border Collie, and think my life would fit either breed well. Most of my dogs have been rescues, so contacting breeders is new (frightening!) territory for me. So my dilemma/situation is: I have been on a wait list for a puppy from an excellent Border Collie breeder for over a year. The breeder is planning a litter, but its not a sure thing (I know, breeding is never a sure thing, but there are reasons that this planned litter is 'extra unlikely'). I would love to get a puppy from this breeder, but I also don't want to wait forever. I know of an excellent Sheltie breeder. I love her dogs. If the BC litter doesn't happen, this Sheltie breeder would be my top pick for a Sheltie puppy. But I don't personally know the breeder, and I'm nervous about contacting her, and want to make a good impression. I'm not sure if it would be ok (polite) to contact the Sheltie breeder now, inquire about her breeding plans and see if I can get on a wait list. I would be honest and tell her I am already on a wait list for another breeder. Or should I wait to find out if the BC litter is going to happen or not before contacting her? I'm concerned that if I wait to long, I will miss out on future litters, but I also don't want to waste a breeder's time by getting on a wait list, and then not get a pup from them. I should know one way or another about the BC litter by late October.