Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

coprophagia

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by siding, Oct 18, 2018.

1. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    I have a weeks sheltie, and he's been eating his and my cats poop since the day he arrived. we did our best to clean after the litter boxes and his business. We even tried to put on wasabi on his poop for one time. it did worked for couple of days. I have heard from the vet that chill powder can deal with the proble but the amount is tricky to put on. Plz help guys.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I've had this problem with adults but not such a young puppy. First you need to put the litterbox where he can't get to it, either a room with a baby gate or up where he can't reach it. That's important because he could be ingesting litter along with the poop and that could really be a problem! My cat has his own room and it is gated off, with a small hole cut for him to squeeze through (he also jumps over it).

I wouldn't put stuff right on his poop because if he ate chili powder or something like wasabi I imagine it could give him quite the stomach ache. There is a pill you can buy at any pet store that they eat and it makes their poop taste bad, I think it's called Forbid.

Cleaning up immediately is obviously key. My 13 year old will still do this occasionally, who knows why.

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

You can try putting the litter box on a table if you can't do a room. Anywhere the dog can't get to that the cat can....

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    When my boy was quite young I found that he liked his poop if I gave him pumpkin or sweet potato...also he was more likely to try it first thing in the morning (hungry maybe?). Perhaps pay more attention to when he's doing it and keep a closer eye on them at that time. I saw also that someone had posted that they put the litter box inside a box and cut a hole for the cat to get through...perhaps something like this could help keep the puppy out of it.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Around the litter box you have got really good advice.

Are you not out with the puppy when it does its business ????

I have always been there to praise the puppy and give a little treat when the business was over

At the same time I always picked up after the puppy :wink2: Then the puppy can not get a bad habit

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Unfortunately, in the case of my poop eater, nothing has helped. We just make sure we are outside with him, and clean up all the poop immediately. (And when we miss some, he gets a super gross snack )

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Just like Corbinam nothing stops Shelby and honestly we have given up trying after all these years it is a lost cause. We to try to clean up right away, but she is a poop walker and leaves “trails” throughout the yard. And now that the leaves are falling inevitably we miss some. I swear she does this on purpose so she can go back and get a snack later on.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I think that you are right:yes:

Shelby's mom likes this.