Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

coprophagia

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by ghggp, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So, who knew...
    • 40 percent of Border Collies and Shelties are stool eaters; no Poodles were reported to be.
    https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/08/23/coprophagia-poop-eating.aspx

I am one of those owners who is out immediately after the dogs eliminate. I have caught Liam doing this. I have even put up solar lights in the yard so I can find any land mines and clear them since it gets dark so early!

Since 40 are Shelties I find that number astounding! Not sure if those of you with multiple Shelties have encountered this issue!

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    There are times when Finnie likes a 'snack'...no rhyme or reason as to why not all the time!
    Riley and Piper never ever. The similarities between our two puppies Gloria astound me!

ghggp likes this.
  3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    If Bailey is in the yard, I have to watch her and be ready to pick up poop right away or she was treat herself to a "snack".

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm not quite clear about what stools they are eating - is it their own/other dogs or is it other animals out on walks? I don't know any Shelties that eat dog poop so I don't know where the 40% figure comes from. Maybe it's something in the genes on that side of the world.

I can tell you 99% of dogs over here eat wild animal poop, esp fresh roo poo which seems to be better than a steak! Many dogs around here eat duck poop, but I haven't seen a Sheltie doing it. If it's got to do with eating wild animal poop then access is a big factor - and I imagine Sheepdogs/Collies generally get walked further and are seen more in bush settings where they can access wild animal poop.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    My dog will eat her own fresh poop and has eaten the poop of my mom's dog who makes on pads in the house. It hasn't happened in a long time, because I monitor her like crazy. As for on walks, thankfully she has never tried to eat poop from another dog, whose owner neglected to pick it up. :ick

ghggp likes this.
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Enzo will only eat Lexi's poop. Go figure. Is it because he loves her best? Or because her food is tastiest? Who knows.

Lexi only eats them when frozen, and doesn't seem to discriminate.

JacqueZ likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That’s funny... frozen poopcicles!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank goodness Liam has never found dropping’s of other dogs! You can get tickets in my neighborhood if f don’t pickup after your dog or if your dog is off leash!

My first Sheltie loved bunny poop! So did Jasmine!

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    First Sheltie never ate poop except cat poop if she could get to it. Asta and Ally occasionally. Brooke, YES. Her own, or the other dogs'. Ugh. Faith is a no, and thankfully Eli seems oblivious to the poop siren call! :lol:

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin loves goose poop. I think that is why he prefers walks on grass now, so he can go looking for snacks!
    All of the Canadian Geese around here leave lots of droppings...