Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

coprophagia

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by ghggp, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Our 1st Sheltie only ate cat poop. And we had some feral cats in the neighborhood that would always poop in our flower beds. One time Hollie ate it unknown to us and got pretty sick.

Shelby on the other hand will eat any poop she can get her mouth on, including her own. We are always cleaning up after her to prevent her snacking habits, but unfortunately she is pretty good at hiding it for a sneaky snack. Especially in the fall when the leaves fall.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, it's definitely starting to sound like a genetic thing on that side of the world. Never heard of so many Shelties eating dog poop.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Luckily, Minnie never has eating dogs poop :no:

Only as a little puppy a cat or rabbit snack once in a while :biggrin2:

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Now that is a scary concept!

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I go nuts in the winter trying to stay ahead of my poop eaters. I don't know what it is about the winter months but almost all of my girls will snack when it's cold. Some like certain other dogs' leavings; others like it cold, or fresh, and one doesn't care and will scavenge for anything. In my house, it's definitely a female thing. Barkley has never had any interest in eating poop. And other than Sprite who is an all-season snacker, it's just a winter thing.

I imagine the neighbors have quite the chuckle at me galloping across the yard waving the scooper yelling, "NO!! Leave it!!" when one gets ahead of me. I am literally out there at night with a flashlight and when it's pouring rain just to stay on top of picking up any and all potential munchies! :uhoh:

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is astounding to me that this happens more in the winter as the poopcicles must be a tasty treat to them!
    I feel for you, Ann! I know how meticulous you are about your shelties.

Ann likes this.
  7. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu does it, tried everything to stop it. I try my best to monitor him, but he is smart, and is always trying dodge my efforts to keep him from is "extra" treats!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I have to say after posting this thread that maybe the 40% shelties do it, is quite accurate! Scary...

Ann likes this.
  9. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey will eat it if it's in the yard, and she definitely has the desire to help clean out the cats box. But usually we can discourage her from that. The cold brings the behavior on, just like all of yours. I am now very thankful however that she's never gone after another dogs while on walks. :wtf: I had never even considered the possibility.

Mango at one point started to eat it in the yard, but I refused to let her give me kisses, and she didn't find the poops worth that kind of torture. If the cat goes outside the litterbox she'll clean it up to try to prevent me from finding it and getting upset, but she leaves the box itself alone.

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Two out of my four love to eat poopy. YUCKO!