Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cracked Paw Pads

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip has 2 cracks on his right front paw pad. It is not raw, no bleeding, and I don't know if it is painful. He is not limping, so I don't think it is. I wonder what caused this? We rarely walk on asphalt, mainly just grass and dirt roads.

Any ideas??

I'm going to ask the vet about this when I take one of my other dog's in next week for an appt.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    This happened to Brooke as well, we're not sure how or when. It did not seem to bother her even though it looked horrible to me. She mostly got walked on dirt paths also. It never knitted back together but like I said she seemed unbothered by it.

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I posted a while back because Brodie had one, and he limped and we walked on asphalt. I had been moisturizing his paws so he would not slip as much on our hardwood floors, but the advice here was to stop. I haven't done so since and we have not had a cracked pad since. Maybe Kip's playtime in the ocean has softened up his pads a bit too much like Brodie's were?

4. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Sandy, did you do anything to his cracked pad to help it heal?
    It could have been the ocean, although we only went that one day

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We just rested him - no walks for a few days, no exercise, no frisbee until we saw it healed up.