Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Crate Games

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    So I've been doing Crate Games (I purchased the online version, so I have access to videos) and after almost 2 weeks Finnie is now going in his crate as soon as I open the door. The most amazing thing about this is it's totally non verbal, the dog makes all the decisions. I can now practice heeling with Piper in the same room while Finnie is in the crate...Finnie sits and waits patiently for his command to break (we're in the proofing stage for 'yer in, yer out' where the dog really starts to learn impulse control). In the past I could never have said 'heel' to Piper when Finnie was in the same room as I'd have 2 dogs fighting for heel position! No verbal corrections are given with this system, if Finnie goes to get up or move forward I just close the door then I wait a few seconds and open the door and reward him for sitting and then we try again. It's really quite amazing and the dog learns so fast! We're just in the early stages but already he's learning to wait and be patient.
    If anyone is having issues with their dog I highly recommend this training system and the videos are awesome, very well made and explained.

2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa absolutely fantastic to read about your positive training :yes:
    and that you have such a good result so quickly :yes:

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thank you Hanne. I've come to realize that I didn't like my previous trainers methods. She felt that a dog should learn things at a certain age irregardless of issues or breed. Now I see positives in every little advancement Finnie does.
    I learned a lot from her but now I'm learning to take pleasures from the little things....they matter more. If my dog is happy and enjoying himself then that's the biggest reward for me.

Calliesmom, Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    yes Lisa , that is exactly what it is all about
    "happy dog = happy mom" :yes:

Incredible that in 2019 we can still meet trainers
    who cannot understand / read the dog
    and are aware that different breeds must be trained differently :gaah

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sad but true - this issue exists with humans too and their trainers (teachers).

Hanne, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.