Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Crate mat or no mat for hot summer weather?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 29, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    It's been very hot here lately, eighties and nineties and I wonder if I should be pulling the mats from Willow's crates or leave them in. I don't want her to be too hot but I don't want it to be uncomfortable without cushions either.

What do you do at night if you're still crating your's?

2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Koko never wanted a mat his whole crated life according to the breeder--always dug them up and laid on the crate floor, indeed he never lays on a dog bed here either. Maybe if Willow is changing her sleeping spots to cooler spots uncrated like tile or laminate instead of bedding that could be a clue to pull them. Or get a gel cooling mat? Although I've heard those don't really work...

GlennR likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I use different mats for summer, without the Sherpa or fleece. They’re either cotton or canvas so they’re cooler. I also have some crate beds that are a cool polyester weave. Got them on Amazon. The plastic crate floors get pretty hot with nothing on them.

GlennR and ghggp like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I've used the cooling mats, Especially at a show where it tends to get hot in the afternoon but what I do is freeze them first (I'll have 2 going) and then put them in the crate (they soften up pretty fast. Of course you could teach her to lay in front of or on top of register (for AC)...my guys have THE BEST sleep (of course then I'm hot but oh well lol).

GlennR likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Can’t use a mats for Liam as he would destroy them. If I did I would use cotton also!

GlennR and Piper's mom like this.
  6. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Well, in my experience, there are two kinds of shelties. Scrunchers and layers. Lay-ers go into their crates and lay on whatever is in there. My shelties are scrunchers. What is a scruncher you ask? Let me explain. No that is too long, let me sum up. A Scruncher will take an endless amount of time to scrunch around and arrange their bed so that it is comfortable to them. Since my shelties are Scrunchers , I just toss a used bed sheet or two in their crate and let them arrange their bed like they want it. Clarabelle will scrunch everything into a ball that she puts her head on. (she takes the longest to be satisfied). Tara needs some bedding under her body and some as a pillow. Cooper wants all of the bedding under him, and could care less if his head is on something. Rocket varies what he wants. Cassie is still learning.

Sharon7, Ann, GlennR and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    I wondered about the heat too and took out the Sherpa pad, but I found the crate really noisy. lol I put an old cotton pillow slip over it in hopes that would help. He is now only in the crate when we go out or when we need a wee bit of down time as Cooper has graduated to sleeping on the big bed with Mom & Dad ! :)

Hanne and GlennR like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow seems comfortable enough. During the day she usually lies in the doorway to the kitchen where the cool vinyl floor is. I pulled the thick cushion from her overnight crate and put in one that is not as plush and that seemed to work well. She's not a scruncher. :)

Ann likes this.
  9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Scrunchers-- I like that. I was calling them diggers. I have those reversible kinda quilted looking loveseat and couch covers they sell cheap to protect the furniture, and I can hear them every night trying to scrunch those things up. Fil tries it on the bed too, but the sheets don't move LOL

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Hah, I've yet to meet the kind of crate bedding Elijah Ray cannot destroy. :rolleyes2: I mean everything from a gel kitchen floor type pad, to a thick cotton bathmat, a flat padded mat, and finally some old carpet samples that were bound around the edges - thought that might stop him but no. So, he has to sleep on hard plastic, which I feel bad about. Luckily he leaves the day beds/mats in the house alone!