Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Crazy is as Crazy does

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JacqueZ, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper has crazypants every day! Especially after supper (mine that is) and I pretend to collapse on the bed from exhaustion (not pretending sometimes lol) he'll start spinning ON the bed and want me to move my hand so he can pounce on it. Of course you can't play that game with 2 dogs, Finnie is never far behind.....

JacqueZ, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Mango has folded her crazy pants up and put them away for the day after our morning walk. Ten steps from home and a construction vehicle comes down the road. I move into my neighbors yard, get out a cookie and bend down to work with Honey. Mango barks, lunges and pulls to the point of getting out of her collar. She jumps the ditch and dashes straight at the vehicle barking like mad. My voice and the realization that the truck is big and not stopping penetrate, and right before she crosses the center and goes under the tires she skids to a stop and runs back to me. The truck manages to skid to a stop shortly after. Goddamn dog....

So glad she's okay. Met my sister and her dog at the park and not a peep out of Mango the whole time. Strangers biking she's sitting calmly. People walking by get a polite sniff and a hopeful look. Other dogs, even the one ten feet in front playing while Honey rested, she ignored until they were past and she could go smell their smells.

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    OMG......I can only imagine how loud and stern your voice would've been calling her back! I can't imagine the mix of emotions you must've felt..relief she returned but anger that she went after the truck. Clearly whatever you said to her made her realize what a BAD girl she was, I hope that never happens again!
    Have you considered a martingale collar for her? I've never had either Piper or Finnie ever get out of their collars.

Calliesmom, JacqueZ and ghggp like this.
  4. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I do not love collars that tighten up, but I might need to consider it. Either that or double up on harnesses, because she can pull out of both the types we have unless they're tightened to the point of cutting into her.

Either way I think I'll switch to driving to the park for our walks for this week.

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I can understand why you wouldn't, but it's not just martingales that can be hard on the neck but all collars, especially when the dog pulls. Perhaps a martingale and a harness then in case she slips the harness.

Hanne, Calliesmom and JacqueZ like this.