Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cryptic Blue

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by jumba, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    I have a question in regards to color. Addie's mom is a cryptic blue, her dad is bi-black. Is it possible that Addie is also a cryptic blue? To the naked eye she is black and white, but while grooming her I find a stray white hair amongst the blacks (for instance she has one white hair near her hip, and there is no other white in that area). She also has white-ish hairs near her ears, but she has an all black head (except by her nose, where its got a smidge of white). Now these are just coming up as she is getting her adult coat in. They are all guard hairs. I have found one hair that was half white and half black.

Now, she does not have a full white collar, and even as a puppy there was no white in those areas by her ears. Or, is it common to have a bi-black with some random white hairs thrown in the mix?

It doesn't affect anything either way, but I was just curious on genetics and how that works! It is kind of interesting!

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy is a bi-black and she has a few random white hairs on her face. I've never seen any stray white hairs on her body though. I just figured it means she's going to get white on her face at a very young age. I don't think a random white hair is a sign of a cryptic merle. Usually there is an obvious mottled spot.

3. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    Thanks Jess! That makes sense. It was the half white, half black hair(s) that made me confused. She has no obvious merle spots.