Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cut paw pad (no bleeding, but will see vet)

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by BryanAndLarrysMama, Jun 15, 2021.

1. BryanAndLarrysMama

BryanAndLarrysMama Premium Member

May 28, 2019
    So last night we take the dogs out to potty and we see Larry sit down and lick his back right paw. Immediately we check to see what's up, thinking a rock or something? In the area where they potty it's enclosed, so no debris, glass, "stuff" they can get into. And they haven't been on a walk in 2 days due to weather (bad storms).

We bring them in and look and it looks like Larry has torn his pad. Like, sliced it across, so there is a flap (which is not wide open) and not bleeding. He isn't limping, it didn't bleed and while it was red last night today it looks better. I'm still taking him to the vet the minute they call me this morning to get him in.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had gone through this? In all my years of having dogs I've never had a cut pad. We're trying to figure out what on earth he may have cut it on! He's as active as if nothing is wrong. While we wait for the vet to call I'm cleaning it after every potty trip. Geez, leave it to Larry! <3

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  2. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Our previous dog, a Samoyed named Mercutio, went outside one day. When he came back in he bleed all over our tile kitchen floor. We looked, and he had cut his pad. He didn't seem to mind -- wasn't limping or anything. My husband investigated, and it turned out he cut it on some garden edging that the previous homeowners had left.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. BryanAndLarrysMama

May 28, 2019
    Eep! They do get into things, don't they! We have a 9pm appointment (ugh..so late but it's the only one I could get today) to have his pad looked at. Honestly, I think it will heal just fine on its own, but I don't pretend to know enough to actually know for sure, so I won't take a chance. On a positive note, they'll give him a free nail trimming so yaay me! LOL

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Brooke had one of those and we never figured out how she tore it. It never did knit back together but it didn't bother her either.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Piper cut his pad on a piece of glass someone threw in our yard a couple years ago. As there was no more bleeding the vet used something like polysporin and vet wrap. I had to change it every other day and put more poly on it but it healed up nicely in no time. Now I have tons of vet wrap but no more cut paws...just goes to show when your well prepared nothing happens:lol:.

ghggp likes this.
  6. BryanAndLarrysMama

May 28, 2019
    UPDATE -------------

Well, Larry refused to wear the bootie the vet suggested. He'd put it on and just stand there like a statue. Funniest thing ever! Anyway, the vet glued the flap on the pad closed, gave us 2 weeks of antibiotics. I ended up wrapping his foot in saran wrap any time he was outside and he was absolutely fine with that, and it worked like a charm. He's healed and back to his normal crazy self. :)

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Great to hear he healed up quick! Smart thinking on the Saran Wrap!

8. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    That's a happy update for Larry. I have used Saran wrap anytime one of mine has needed a paw/leg kept dry and swear by it. Glad your boy is all better. :)
    Trini

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great news! On the mend!

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Glad he is healed up! Great update! And thanks for the hint - never would have thought of saran wrap! Helps to have these tidbits of info stored away 'just in case'....

Piper's mom likes this.