Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dang it, another potty fail

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, May 27, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Just when I think Meadow has the basic idea of pottying outside, she peed twice in the house this week. I caught her both times just as she started, yelled NO then took her outside and praised the heck out of her when she finished out there. She is now 17 weeks old.

I do know full bladder control is not until 6 months but she gave no signal that she needed to go out, and in fact we are mostly still taking her out almost every hour that she's awake. She will pee on command. She is still restricted on the area she is allowed to be in - not out of our sight for sure.

SIGH. I just need a little hand-holding and consolation from my SN friends. Thanks in advance.

KarenCurtis, jomuir, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio
    If it will make you feel any better, Devon was still going in the house at almost five months and was showing zero signs of understanding what going outside was for. I had to take him out every couple of hours during the day or he'd go in the house somewhere. Then all of a sudden sometime shortly after he was five months old, around mid-November 2018, he suddenly "got it" and he's never peed or pooped in the house since. It took me a week or two to realize that something fundamental had changed and that he hadn't gone in the house in a while as he still wasn't making any effort to tell me that he needed to go out. I put him to the test around Thanksgiving by not taking him out every couple of hours and he didn't make a mess in the house, but just waited for me to take him out. Even now only rarely does he go to the door to the garage to tell me he has to go; he just holds it. Good dog!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    No sympathy from me. Kismet is 21 weeks and we're still in training so you're doing really well. I'm not stressed, I know she'll work it out and she has a long way to go to hold on for more than a few hours (she's small and Tully had the same problem with a small bladder). I do wish she'd toilet on her walks or in the front yard. And of course sometimes she's too distracted playing or by company to want to go outside. But hey, baby steps for a baby right.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, they joys of puppyhood! Just when you think they have got it, surprise!
    I had a similar problem with Liam around that time. But, I think it had more to do with him marking!
    Hopefully, things will get better soon!

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I think I mentioned that Flurry wasn't trained until she was over a year old! It was maddening. I knew she knew what to do and she'd go outside, but she'd also just go in the living room when she felt like it. Sprite wasn't much better...she had a spot on the dining room rug she'd poop on hidden behind the table, also well past six months old. Then one day, it just stopped, and they've been perfect ever since. Like a switch flipped. It will happen, but you have a long way to go!

SRW, Hanne, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beckon did great -- the girls taught him to use the doggie door. We were fine...until we brought in the Christmas tree. ("Oh, WOW! FOR ME? An INDOOR bathroom?")

KarenCurtis, jomuir, Hanne and 6 others like this.
  7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    You'll get there Sharon, by the looks of it you've done such an awesome job already! It has been about 16 years since my last pup so I'm no use here but she's coming along great!

8. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I think every dog is different. I got Cody at ~1 year old (he was a rescue of sorts) and he had one accident in the house and was perfectly reliable after that. Jesse on the other had I got as a puppy and I hate to say has only been completely reliable at a little over 2 years! I don't know if size makes a difference, but Cody is oversize at 42 pounds and Jesse is only a little 14 pounder. My problem has been that neither tells me they need to go out, they just stand in the hallway and stare at me until I notice and ask them if they need to go out.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    The easiest and best dog I had for housebreaking training was a German Shepherd. He went in the house exactly once and I told him no and hustled him outside and praised him to the skies. That was his one and only accident in the house. I thought housebreaking was devastatingly easy and wondered what all the fuss was about.

Up until Willow entered my life all my dogs had taken less than a month to be reliable. Willow is the smallest breed I've owned and I was shocked when Willow's housebreaking training stretched over months. Now, she only had four or five accidents inside but they were spaced widely apart and the last couple really surprised me. We were extremely diligent even setting the alarm to get her out in the middle of the night for the first couple of weeks.

She seems totally trustworthy at this point but I still crate her at night or when all the humans are leaving the house.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone. I know she is still just a baby but it's painful when you feel like you are doing all the "right things" and still having accidents. She is such a smart girl and I watch her closely, so hopefully we will get there (God willing, before a year old!!! :eek2: )

jomuir, Sandy in CT, GlennR and 2 others like this.