Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Danger Everywhere

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    If you take your dogs for walks in public places, this cautionary tale is for you. With marijuana legal now in so many places and in tempting edible form, we all have to beware. This happened to a friend of mine.

On Thursday we took our dogs for a walk. We were on our normal route and Bella who normally doesn’t eat anything, ate something off the ground. We didn’t know what it was. We asked her to spit it out. She swallowed it. By the time we got home, she was salivating. Within 30mins she was foaming at the mouth. My daughter took her to the vet. On the way her face started to spasm. She got her into the vet and they took her right in. Her blood work showed she had cocaine, marijuana and other substances in her system. Her mouth and throat have chemical burns. She dislocated her jaw with the spasming. They feel the chemical burns are from bleach. Bleach is what they use to cut the drugs.
    Bella is in a muzzle for her jaw for 2 weeks hoping that heals it. If not she may need surgery. She is on meds for her mouth and jaw.
    Just be vigilant when walking your dog. Make sure they don’t eat anything.
    The vet stated they have had several dogs die due to ingesting drugs in recent weeks.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :eek2: :gaah I worry about this, it has happened here as well. A friend's dog dove into the bushes, they weren't sure if it had even eaten anything because they didn't see. Sure enough, marijuana, thankfully nothing harder. And Faith will snap things up in a flash.

I hope Bella will be OK. How devastating.

Piper's mom, Ann, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Surprised that crap isn't to expensive to just toss around like that.

Ann, Sandy in CT and Ron Atkinson like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Oh my goodness - poor Bella! That is soooo sad. Yes, another tragic thing about drugs - so devastating. :( Please keep us posted on Bella.

Piper's mom, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh holy cow, there are so many awful nutcase folks out there who want to inflict pain on people and animals. Just so scary.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I remember the days when I would take my dogs to the woods near me and let them off leash and we'd all have a great walk. No way would I ever do that now. I want them on leash so I can control where their noses and mouths are. It's really sad.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Good Lord, I never even considered that as an issue!!! Guess I'll be monitoring Asher even more closely!

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Now, I don’t know much about marijuana. But I had a friend whose dog got sick from licking/eating paper towels or napkins after her husband had cleaned his pipe. It was pretty scary because they couldn’t figure out what she was sick from and the drug test came back positive for something else that they knew for sure wasn’t in the house. I think it was opioids? It’s been a few months since it happened! The dog is fine… husband slept on the couch for a night or two.

You have to be vigilant even with random trash on the ground too!

RikyR, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I remember when Barb's Sheltie got into her son's stash and was stoned out of his mind! :gaah