Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

DCM - A take from a vet nutrionist

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by k9kreationz, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks, Dr. Mac! Your calory assessment is so helpful. I've always guessed at what my dogs should have. It's great to have a numeric measure.

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    Thanks very much Dr. Mac it makes me think Cooper is getting too many calories so will play with it for a bit. I wonder why they don’t do calories per cup on the dog food? According to the bag the amount he gets goes down when he hits 7 months which is later this week. This is always such a helpful group and it’s much appreciated! :)

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    most of the boutique dog foods that I have purchased have the calories/cup on the bag. You will need to look for it as it is not in a giant box like the how many cups/day to feed..........
    I easily found that info on the special pancreas food that Cran was eating as well as on the bag of what he had been eating which is why I knew he was getting way less calories at the same cup/day of food and why I asked my vet if I should be feeding him more of the special food..............

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for the calorie info. We switched to Proplan (from Purvita grain free). I always fed Shelby based on her weight until I would find the amount to keep her at 25lbs. Well to my surprise she lost 2 lbs when she was at the vet last month! The vet was very concerned about the weight loss. I explained that we just switched food and I haven’t figured out the right amount to feed. She told me the amount of calories we should be feeding and sure enough we were not feeding her nearly enough. Purina does have the calories/per cup on the bag. She quickly put those 2lbs back on.

Ann and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm feeding ProPlan also, and I think Sandstorm has lost a couple of pounds, which he could afford to do. But I will increase the amount I feed a little.

6. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2019
    Here is what I found from PetMd website (https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2013/aug/how-many-calories-does-dog-need-30849)

———————————————————————————————————————————————
    The standard steps used by veterinarians to determine a dog’s caloric needs (otherwise known as their maintenance energy requirements) are as follows:

• Divide a dog’s body weight in pounds by 2.2 to convert to kilograms (kg)
    • Resting Energy Requirement (RER) = 70 (body weight in kg)^0.75
    • Maintenance Energy Requirement (MER) = appropriate multiplier x RER

Commonly Used Multipliers:

typical neutered pet - 1.6

typical intact pet - 1.8

weight loss - 1

weight gain - 1.7

light work - 2

moderate work - 3

heavy work - 6

growth (less than 4 months old) - 3

growth (more than 4 months old) - 2

Here’s what the calculations look like for a neutered pet dog weighing 45 pounds that is at his or her ideal weight.

• 45 lbs / 2.2 = 20.5 kg
    • 70 x 20.5^0.75 = 674 kcal/day
    • 1.6 x 672 = 1075 kcal/day

Remember, this is just a ball park figure. This pet’s actual needs may actually be anywhere between 860 kcal/day and 1,290 kcal/day.
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————
    Note: My calculation shows my 20lb unspayed dog needs 660 calories a day. I’m currently feeding her less than 600 per day. Hmm, maybe this explains why she always looks hungry...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Sharon7, Calliesmom, Wendy C and 3 others like this.
  7. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Excellent.
    However I do think clients can be misled by what they think they should be feeding , using formulas. I explain to them that if you adopted your dog from the shelter yesterday and are asking 'How much should I feed her?' we know the formulas and can give you an estimate. On the other hand, if you have been feeding a given amount for the past year or more it's really more of a 'If she is too heavy feed her less, if she is too thin feed her more.' (Calories, not necessarily volume.) They are all individuals, just like people, and caloric requirements vary. Bassets need less calories per pound than Jack Russels.

Where the formulas come in handy is more when assessing if we may have a problem. For example, using the rough one cup for 20-25 lb benchmark, (and Sunflower's formulas are more precise for this), if a 40 lb dog is heavy and we find she is eating 1.5 cups a day of standard foods we might investigate the thyroid. If she is eating 3 cups a day we would cut back on calories.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    OK just to satisfy my own curiosity, I looked up the calories for the Wellness I had been feeding, to the Proplan which I switched to. Very similar ingredients. To my puzzlement, the Proplan is 489kcal/cup and the Wellness is 417kcal/cup. The Proplan is 2% higher in both the protein and the fat content, as well as calories. So WHY would my dogs lose weight on the Proplan, I don't get it.

I use an actual measuring 1/2 cup to feed. Elijah was getting a slightly rounded 1/2 cup twice daily of Wellness. Feeding him the same on Proplan, he lost two pounds! But the calories should have been MORE. And like I said, the ingredients are very similar. He's now getting probably 2/3 cup (a heaping 1/2 measuring cup) and has gained back a pound.

It's just weird. :confused2: :no:

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hmm, puzzling. I'm just going to feed a little over a cup a day, see what happens. Sandstorm's weight loss could be because he is getting more excersize due to the puppy. Two pounds is not a lot

Calliesmom likes this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    The ingredients may be similar, but the amount of the ingredients is probably different...., for instance, less actual meat in ProPlan and more of another ingredient....potatoes, rice, etc. The ratio of fillers used is higher in some of the Purina lines. It doesn't say that on the bag, because they are only required to list the ingredients in the order of content. So they can still list meat first as long as the second, third, etc. ingredients are slightly less in content.

Sharon7, HikerDog and Calliesmom like this.