Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Deacon update & puppy food observation

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Sandy in CT, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Deacon is 17 weeks old today! He measured in shy of 11 1/2" and weighed in at 11 lbs 2 oz. I still feel, from his curve on the Bowling charts that he will be about 14 - 14 1/2" and about 19 - 20 lbs.

This week he learned sit really solid; his recall was the first thing we worked on and it remains good for the time being. He will know go up all 5 steps from the back yard to the deck adn will finally walk out the 3" drop from house to the deck. He will jump off the ottoman or the couch if put on but won't go down stairs at all. We've been going on walks around the neighborhood, albeit at times it is reluctantly others he hops and pops around with delight! This week we will work on down and down stairs. Puppy playgroup was the best yet of the 3 weeks; he still goes to adults and kids no problem but this week explored a bit, met another quiet dog who came last week for the first time.

My food observation ties in with potty training. Deacon came on Purina Pro-Plan as did Brodie and I had bought a 35 lb bag thinking I'd just stick with it then move to Fromm. Instead, I tossed the remaining 1/3 or so of it (local rescue group won't take personal donations cuz of COVID - wouldn't even take my old towels) and made the switch to Fromm puppy over 2 weeks. Now some observations might be from his bladder developing more as he grows, but not all. He is pooping FAR less - that I tie in to the lack of corn gluten meal in the Fromm where it is the 4th ingredient in the PP but I could be wrong; Fromm has 2.5% more fiber. He was pooping a ton and about 5 - 6 times per day but a real load. He has good solid poops now about 4 - 5 times a day but good substance and far less of it. I don't believe Corn Gluten Meal belongs in a pet diet, I can see how grains are important but DGM, while a great fertilizer for the garden, just seems to go right through. The biggest change is his water consumption. Deacon had been drinking SO much water, gulping it often after meals and then would pee, pee, pee and gulp water again. At times, he would pee every 5 - 10 minutes. I had him tested for a UTI just to see. But the change to the Fromm puppy has totally stopped that. He still drinks - but normally. Following along with that, we have had a DRASTIC improvement in potty training. Last week, we only had 2 total accidents during the day and he kept his wrap dry every night during playtime in the family room. He's received a bit more freedom with his 'puppy prison' as we call it now including the powder room but is also spending most of his morning in the kitchen/dinette area where he can play with the cat. So is it coincidence? Growth? Change of diet? I am thinking the PP has much more sodium in it, but think that based on how sodium affects my water intake.

He is losing that puppy face and his sheltie snout has started to make an appearance.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Great update, sounds like he’s grown quite a bit and has a good weight, sounds like he’s catching up to Blueberry size/weight wise (I go to breeder tomorrow to do ears so will get a measurement then) I think she’s around 12 pounds. Great progress on his puppy class! I wish we could go but still 3 more weeks until she’s titered...
    I also switched her to the Fromm puppy and I too noticed how much better her poops are since switching her off the Pro Plan. I also give her a ton of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce and she LOVES tomatoes) so this helps her have nice poops. She’s lost 3 insizors just in the last few days as well!
    I’ve noticed that outside if she’s off leash in the yard that come means nothing to her lol, too may more interesting smells! I’m going to start her on a long line outside and super special treats (cheese) and work on her recall where smells dominate.

Darren, RikyR, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Did you notice anything with drinking water? I really am wondering about sodium. It was so bad, even hubby was commenting on his drinking. And such a drastic change with his pottying that cannot all be attributed to his bladder developing.

Ears, must say, I think I did a bang up job on his taping! I glued the day we brought him home, forget how long the tape has been in but I only taped his ears that one time and it's STILL in! With Brodie, on a good tape job, I'd get 3 - 4 weeks if I remember, but we're talking AGES with this tape job! I do massage his ear folds multiple times a day as I carry him down stairs so maybe that is why they are not pulling up. Plus, I used the spray adhesive this time to better activate the tape. I know I should probably take out and replace but am of that 'it's not broke so why fix' frame of mind - you know, why screw up a good thing?!

Darren, Ann and Sharon7 like this.
  4. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Food issues are so interesting. Our girl came home on Fromm’s and started having diarrhea after a few months. Switched her to royal canin and did better. Fast forward 18 months after intermittent diarrhea and vomiting throughout and now she is on Purina pro plan Hydrolyzed veggie (failed on the Hydrolyzed chicken), and doing great with no diarrhea. Drinking is actually decreased for her (I think because she’s no longer dehydrated from diarrhea). And, the first ingredient in the diet she’s on is Corn starch. Normally, I would NEVER think this sounded good for a dog, but in her case, it’s the best thing yet. The protein in it is soy. From the IBD group I’m in, it appears that a number of dogs do well on this diet. Who knows why some dogs do well on some things but others don’t? Trial and error seems the only route until you discover what works best for your pup. Of course, we have a few meds on board to help with the IBD, but honestly, once she started eating the veggie food, her gassiness really decreased, along with her reflux. So weird. I will be interested to see if she eats grass this summer as much as she did last year.

Glad to hear Deacon and Blueberry are thriving!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I honestly didn’t notice an overly great amount of water being drank. She does drink a lot when I go home when working (on a break) but I try not to give her too much water in her pen because then she’d have to pee sooner and have to wait for me.
    I have started introducing some raw to her diet and this helps to decrease her water intake (more moisture in the food) I know the vet said to wait but I really think the benefits outweigh the risk. I just bought her another bag of food so I’ll switch her totally when she’s almost finished.
    Your lucky with the ears! Mine wouldn’t last 30 days lol!

Darren, Sandy in CT and Hanne like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Spitfire drinks more water than any Sheltie I have ever seen and always has. He eats then drinks an entire water bowl each time.

Some of his poops could be getting used to food and water at his new home.

7. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Am I missing something, you posted a puppy update without Pictures!?!?

Sounds like Deacon is doing great. I do remember Kip drinking a ton of water as a puppy, and I didn’t think too much about it. Kip’s ears only stayed glued about a week. Arghhh, I don’t miss that at all!

Darren, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa - you know I am overcautious :hide
    I have a huge number of tomatoes in the summer,
    but Minnie has not tasted a single one

Ripe tomatoes contain small amounts of the substance Alpha-tomatin,
    which can be harmful to our dog's heart.
    However, a lot of ripe tomatoes are needed before problems arise.

Darren, Ann, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    https://dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-food-dog-nutrition/59085-can-dogs-eat-tomatoes
    Tomatin is generally found in the plant and in green unripened fruit and to some extent in ripe fruit. I’ve never had an issue with them eating tomatoes but then they don’t get much.

Darren, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Interesting. I looked at the Pro Plan puppy ingredients because Faith and Eli are on Pro Plan, but I didn't like them. So I did Fromm puppy and Meadow did great. I switched her over to the Pro Plan at about 8 months, she never had a change in thirst or poop consistency. (Only on this forum can I talk about that, LOL)

Darren, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.