Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dealing with gingivitis?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by GlennR, Apr 6, 2021.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow had her annual today and most everything was just fine. However, the vet stated that Willow has mild gingivitis. We brush her teeth each day with an enzymatic toothpaste but, apparently, that isn't enough. The vet thought dental chews might help but I doubt it as Willow doesn't like to gnaw things. She's a break it and swallow it kind of dog.

Any suggestions?

The poor baby has gone into her crate for comfort as she always gets stiff and hurts after her annual vaccinations. She tried lying on her bed, the couch, the floor and the love seat but nothing felt safe and comfortable to her. She's had a Benedryl and that will help some but if it's like previous times she won't really be herself until tomorrow.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Try adding ProDen Plaque Off to her diet. A tiny scoop once a day has really helped reduce the dentals mine need. It' s a natural form of Icelandic kelp that reduces tarter etc. through the saliva. That, with brushing, should do the job. I think you can probably get it in Canada.

Poor Willow...those nasty vaccines really do a job on some of them. Give her a pat for me.

Hanne, Chris, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    We used the ProDen Plaqueoff based on recommendations here and a friend who had great success with her non-shelties. We used it for several years but it did not seem to do anything to help with mine.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and GlennR like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I use the plaque off as well. I would try her on the largest Bully Stick safely attached to a Bully Buddy. They do wonders for the teeth....

Edited to add.... careful where you get Bully Sticks from. I don't just buy any Bully Sticks. The ones sold from the makers of the Bully Buddy are really good sticks. I have maybe 3 sources I trust and I NEVER buy them from Petco!

5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I've ordered the ProDen, it ought to be here in a couple of days.

I will try out bully sticks but first I have to locate the bully buddy here in Canada.

Willow's breeder also recommended large bones that she'd have to gnaw. I may try that if the other things don't work out.

Thank you all for the recommendations!

As for the princess, she's recovered fully from the pain and stiffness the vaccinations always cause with her. Benedryl helped her cope but time is the only healer for this. I hate seeing her standing stiffly and not even able to lie down comfortably after the shots. But she is fully back to her mischievous and cuddly ways. I should add that her bloodwork and stool sample were normal.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    One other thought, I had my vet order me a dental scaler instrument which I use to scrape just along the gum line. Not that any of them like it of course, but I can get tartar off and also just do a better job along the gums than the toothbrushing does. I don't know if Willow would allow you to do that. I only do it every few months.

GlennR, Hanne and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    That sounds worth a try. There hasn't been anything that Willow hasn't let me do as long as I insist on it. Of course, I'm sure she'll give me her opinion on it as she does for other things that she doesn't fancy having done to her. :)

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I have been using Plaque off since I got Minnie as an attempt,
    so far her teeth are ok.
    I never got myself together to brush her teeth, :hide
    even though I bought "all the equipment" when I got her.

Even a dental scaler instrument as Sharon mentions.
    I think I will unpack it and give it a try :yes:

Minnie is soon 7 year and I would really like she has good teeth. :hugs

GlennR, trini, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    We have a saying "Dog nail trimmers are like exercise bicycles- everyone buys them and no one uses them." That probably is even more applicable to canine dental equipment. :bag:

GlennR, Sharon7, Ann and 3 others like this.