Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dealing with rain

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jan 10, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    So, we have some heavy rain in the forecast for the weekend. How do you handle very wet weather with your Shelties? Rain puts Willow off but she'll tolerate it if I insist we go for a walk in it. She puts her ears back and down in the rain. I typically dress her in her water-resistant coat especially now that her undercoat is sparse compared to what it was before her big shed a couple of months ago.

Darren, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
  3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, but what about Shelties from this planet?

DianeP, Calliesmom, RikyR and 7 others like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    King Koko will not go out voluntarily in the rain. Nope. Uh-Uh. I have to leash him up and walk and even then he might resist. This usually ends up with me having potties in the house to clean up.
    Fillion and Benson go out to do their business and the amount of wet and mud is directly proportional to the flying zoomies when they come back in. This usually ends up with me having to clean floors and couch covers.
    So I win either way.
    Yeah I love rain. /s

DianeP, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Cooper doesn’t seem to mind rain...we both wear raincoats and our walks are a bit shorter. What he doesn’t like is the sound of noisy vehicles on the wet road so we try and stay clear of busier streets.

DianeP, GlennR and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper and Finnie don't mind the rain (needless to say we don't have that problem right now with temps around -10 F and windchill of -31 F) they don't like the pouring rain but a good treat will usually entice them to go quickly!
    I wish rain was our problem lol...for us it's getting them to go before the paws get too cold lol.

GlennR and Wendy C like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    :yuckyuck
    That must be a Sheltie from another planet:ROFLMAO:!!!

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    We are under a flood watch and it’s supposed to rain most of tomorrow! As long as it’s not freezing rain it’s all good. :) Yes I imagine your days with rain in the winter might be counted on 1 finger? Stay warm & dry!!

GlennR and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, we've walked in gentle rain without dog coats here but it's not as cold as where you are. And, if heavy rain, we have gone out with umbrellas over the dogs so they can potty. Otherwise it's house time and playing fetch down the hallway. Asta and Ally absolutely hated rain and would squint miserably when forced to go out for 60 seconds to do their business.... ewwwwwwwww wet grass and puddles, such drama. :rolleyes2: The current crew is pretty good - they know to just run out and go quick and come right back in to get towelled off.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just saw this cartoon today and immediately thought of it with your post!
    FDEE925E-41A2-445B-A7EF-0665222057A1.jpeg

DianeP, Calliesmom, Ann and 7 others like this.