Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Demanding Puppy!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by HikerDog, Nov 8, 2019.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Looks like at a little over five months old, our Toby is beginning the throes of adolescence :nailbiting:

We are finally finding solutions (albeit slow ones) to: Barking at Everyone Outside and Chasing ALL the Cars. His second favorite games. Though distracting him with a treat usually does the trick

Except he has a new game.

It's called: Bark at us For Everything to Get ALL the Attention.

Clearly, treats won't work in this case :ROFLMAO:
    But my ears are ringing. We've figured out that the most effective thing is to completely ignore him until he stops. Hopefully this doesn't last forever ugh. Anyone have similar experiences?

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Boss Spitfire is 8...... though I am sure he is not as bad.

HikerDog likes this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Do you find it happening at a certain time for the most part? Cooper (lately called the teenage wild child) has a period between 6 p.m. & 8 p.m. that he behaves like that. He just passed out awhile ago lol. We go through all of his toys and are now wondering if we should change the time of the “long walk”. I am hopeful he will grow out of it soon! :)

HikerDog likes this.
  4. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    For the past few days, it has been later in the evening. Not a bad idea about changing walking time. Though I'm a little hesitant to walk around at night. There's lots of things going on and this morning I saw a coyote dart across the road in front of me! Maybe some hearty late-evening playtime. Fingers crossed about them both growing out of it!

Wendy C likes this.
  5. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip (4.5 months) does the demanding barking sometimes too. Especially at dinner time when he gets frustrated that I'm not giving him my full attention. Mainly I ignore the barking and try to reward as soon as he is quiet. Kip is particularly active from 9-10 PM:) So I try to have a good play session before bedtime.

HikerDog and Wendy C like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    The hour in the evening just before we go to bed,
    that is what we call a "wolf hour" :winkgrin:
    - it is quite common especially for young dogs
    - this is where it can go a little wild :yes:

A walk is always good, but be prepared for the "wolf hour" still waiting :biggrin2:
    - it's as something needs to get out of the system
    - before the dog falls over and is ready for a good night's sleep :hugs

7. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    Yes, River does it too, but not with barking. He goes through all the behaviors he knows he isn't supposed to do. Chewing on the stones of the hearth, picking at carpet, pulling out baskets in the window seat, or standing on my lap so I can't do anything else. Finally he plays a rousing game of what I call "racket ball'" with his noisiest plastic ball. Then he settles down for the night. He's a year and a half.

Wendy C, Hanne and HikerDog like this.
  8. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    A year and a half?? Have mercy I was hoping he was almost over that!! Ha ha ha. Oh well, he is healthy, happy and cute and is still earning the nick name “pita” from hubby. :)

HikerDog and TheDailyPainter like this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Oh dear!! We’re just at 3 months now. This is what is lurking inside of this sweet girl? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I need to enjoy her while I can and be thankful she has regular self imposed nap times for now.

She doesn’t bark at much. Right now, it’s just during play. Mostly with the cat. So when she starts barking at me I’ll know I have teenage sheltie-tude on my hands???

Hanne likes this.
  10. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    We’ve dealt with demand barking on and off with Mindy for some months. She is a year on Sunday. We tried to think of the different situations which get her going and what might work. What was she trying to tell us with her bark? She demand barked while we ate so I started feeding half her meal in a kong in her crate at our mealtime.

If we thought she was wanting to play, we taught her “get your toy” so she could bring that to us instead of just yelling at us.

sometimes the barking meant she needed to go outside.

She still barks when I am cooking. It’s better than it was, but especially when I’m using the stove, my husband holds her so she can see what’s happening. I think the commotion sort of scared and excited her at the same time. She calms down right away.

If I thought she was barking because of boredom (or doing other naughty attention getting behaviors) I offered to do training games with her for a few minutes.

It’s definitely work, but I’ve come to realize that barking is her way of trying to communicate and it doesn’t always mean the same thing. By the way, sometimes if we feel all her needs have been met and she keeps it up, we crate her with a treat. Typically she goes to sleep and it really just meant she needed a nap.

So, a day before her first birthday, I can say she and we have made progress on this.

Good luck with it! It can make you bonkers sometimes;)