Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dental care

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Wendy C, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I tried using the search, but it’s so hard to wade through sorry if this is in the wrong spot and if the answer is out there and I missed it. Cooper now has most of his adult teeth and it’s time to start looking after them. For the most part do you find starting with the little finger brush that comes with the tooth paste? We have dental rawhide purchased at the vets office and I saw Ann your post about Proden Plaque off and wondered about maybe doing that bi-weekly? As always thanks in advance for your insight! :)

2. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    I brush our two dogs teeth every night with dog toothpaste. I hope it will prevent the need to have the vet clean them which is expensive.

KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I do use Proden Plaque Off, but you should feed it daily to be effective. You just add a a tiny bit to their food so the jar lasts a long time. In addition to that, I spritz Petz Life Oral Care in their mouth a few times a week. It's peppermint flavored so once they get used to you spraying it they love the taste.

I do also try to brush but with six they don't get done as often as they should. I try to concentrate on those who need it most...I find the dogs who eat softer food, like Flurry who gets home cooked food, need more attention to her teeth than my dogs on kibble. She is not a fan of the toothbrush, unfortunately, so products like the other two do help fill the gap.

KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.
  4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA

Do you use the finger brush or the regular style brush? Thanks in advance!

5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    My concern is him liking the toothbrush Ann. lol. I have only had one dog (cocker spaniel) who would tolerate it and that was because she was so food obsessed. :) I will look into the products you recommended to see if they are available in Canada. Thanks again!

Ann likes this.
  6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I've been using Petsmile toothpaste since Fillion's last cleaning and it does a good job. If I was more diligent I think I could keep them tartar free with it. They love the taste but hate the brush so I got those silicone finger brushes to apply it. I can massage gums pretty good with those and it doesn't seem to bother them so much. It is pricey stuff, but far cheaper than a dental at the vet!

Wendy C likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We started with the finger brush to get them used to it, then graduate to the regular brush. They love/hate it - love the taste of the paste, not so crazy about the brushing, but they all put up with it. We do Mon, Wed, Fri. I'm sure it would be better at least every other day but that's life. Their teeth are in pretty good shape. So important, gum disease can lead to all kinds of problems, heart, kidney etc. as the bacteria can wreak havoc in their body.

Wendy C likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I wrap gauze around my finger dipped in toothpase and use that to brush their teeth. Tully has a tiny little mouth so I relied on chewy meat and bones for both dogs to self-clean the back teeth. My dogs didn't get their first dental until they were 10yrs old, and only needed a light clean and didn't have teeth out. My dogs rarely got treats when they were adults either. Unfortunately, because I had to cut out bones and due to diet issues they needed more cleans after that. I'm struggling with Tully's teeth atm because of her little tiny mouth.

9. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    I use the long dog brush with a big end and a small end. I use the big end. I get them from Amazon.