Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Different relationship types?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon most definitely treats my hubby and I differently. "Dad" is the one to play with and to herd. I'm the one to cuddle with and go to when things are scary (like lawnmowers outside!) What's really interesting is that his relationships with us mirror in many ways our (human) children when they were young. Dad was the "fun" one but mom's the one who made everything okay and took care o needs,

Hanne, GlennR and Ann like this.
  2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm the one they come complain to when they need something. (Like the food my husbands not sharing) And for the most part they look to me first for instructions since I did a lot of the initial training with both dogs. Honey cuddles my husband and I pretty equally, lots of affection when we get home and she likes to nibble my hair just like she nibbles my husbands beard, Mango will jump up and lay on me for pets and kisses whenever she's in the mood for them during the day (frequently), but she doesn't usually lay on my husband. They're slowly working towards it though...bondings just taken a few years. The real difference is leaving though. They will happily follow me out of the house and yard no matter what, and always attempt to jump in the car with me. My husband they never follow to the garage if I'm home, and if he tries to walk them by himself when I'm sick or really busy they pull and fuss and sit for just a few minutes every foot or so to see if I'm coming out. Even if I'm with them they prefer me to be holding the leash (Mango especially)

mimiretz and GlennR like this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Oh yes, Spitfire (the king of strange behavior) would go wild when Dad came over. Very happy to see him and all excited. However if Mom was there Dad barely mattered even if he had a treat LOL. Sca was the closest to constant as he loved people. Now there was me at #1 but pretty much anyone else was second. There was one member of the flyball team he did not approve of and sometimes he would not even take food from her (which was VERY extreme as he was super food motivated)

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    So I am Gavin't one and only regular person. He loves my friends when they come over, loves his belly rubs. But since I am the only person with him 15 hours a day, I don't have anything to compare it to. But I also don't have to share snuggles :)

JacqueZ and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby is defiantly a daddy’s girl. He is the fun one and he is much easier for her to manipulate. I don’t fall for her tricks like he does. He feeds her in the morning and loves to play rough with her, she begs him to hold her. I feed her in the evening and I do nose work and volunteer work with her as well as the not so fun things like baths and brushing etc . But daddy is still more fun.

She never, ever gets excited when either of us get home. But if anyone visits us she is crazy excited. She also loves little kids and babies. She is so gentle with them and will share all her toys with them. When our god daughter was a baby we have a picture of Shelby curled up on the sofa next to her as she was sleeping. Shelby would not leave her side until she woke up.

So yes Shelby does have a different relationship with everyone. It seems it is based on how she perceives that person.

Sharon7 likes this.