Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Different walking problem

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Thomas Zaccone, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Thomas Zaccone

Thomas Zaccone Forums Novice

Aug 23, 2017
    Adopted two sheltie brothers from the same litter. We got them a month or so ago. They were never socialized and were 7 mos old when we got them. They are very close to one another and werenever leash trained. They are afraid to leave our yard. When i try taking one of them out, THEY PULL BACK and slip off the collar and try to run back into the yard. Don't wantto pull the collar too tight and they even manage to struggle out of a choak collar. Had many dogs and never encountered this problem. What do i do?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thomas,
    Please consider a harness!
    Hurtta Pet Collection Padded Y-Harness is the one I got that will not allow the dog to slip out of it!

My first rescue Sheltie did the same thing on walks. Wanted to go back home immediately! I was lucky as I already had a confidant Sheltie that helped my shy one understand that walks could be fun!

Must be quite the challenge with two shy dogs. Will your pups open up to other dogs?
    If they are friendly and like other dogs have that be a positive walking partner with them? Maybe start small by just walking down the driveway and back. Then advance to one house down and back again? Load up with tasty treats too ...

I am sure others can give advice that will help you!

Bless you for adopting!

Thomas Zaccone likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I second the harness. I would also walk them individually so they get some time apart from each other.

4. Thomas Zaccone

Aug 23, 2017
    Thank you. Have another male sheltie -12. He is a bit cranky but i think they will do well with other dogs. We are blessed having got them. :)

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree walk them separately, you want them to bond with you. Also why not try walking them in the yard...try just putting the collar and leash on them and let them drag it behind them and then gradually hold it so he gets used to it. If they were never leash trained treat them like you would a puppy (my dog Piper had HATED the leash when he was a pup and this is what I had to do) and work to get the used to the leash before you take them for a walk. Good luck!

ghggp and Thomas Zaccone like this.
  6. Thomas Zaccone

Aug 23, 2017
    Thank you for your advice. Will follow your suggestions.