Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Difficult transitions at times

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Mar 21, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure if other Shelties are like this but Willow seems to have trouble changing gears at times. It may be post play time or post grooming but she'll become an insistent bug. She'll give little sharp barks and may jump at someone repeatedly. She doesn't want to play though, not fetch or tug or chew. Just now we had a lovely grooming session with lots of cuddles and rewards. Once off the table she couldn't seem to calm herself.

I asked her to go into her crate, which she did, and I closed the door. I never push her in it, I let her walk in herself. Anyway, I let her out as soon as she settled, this time probably less than three minutes until she was laying down quietly. I walked to the couch and sat and she immediately lay down between my feet with no protest on her part or urging on mine. She'll be in puppy dreamland in a minute or two I'm sure

If I don't employ this time-out she becomes pretty unmanageable. So, is this a Willow thing or a Sheltie thing?

Katie’s Mom and Piper's mom like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Brat mode, like a little kid. She is tired but having a grand time and wants to keep going. Well or Spitfire mode and he just wants to see what tricks he can get you to do.

ghggp, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We always called that kind of behavior "over-tired", like Sheep says. I don't know that it is unique to Shelties; but Shelties are the only puppies I've ever raised, myself.

I think you handle her beautifully, and a short time out seems to do the trick.

ghggp, Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I think it's a puppy thing- not all of mine needed the timeout but Cran as a puppy did.....

ghggp likes this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby will be 9 in a few weeks and she gets annoyingly whiney when she is over tired. She walks around whining and clicking her teeth at you. For example my mother was over this past weekend and Shelby was tired from not napping all day. But because my mom was here she didn’t want to miss anything (aka treats from my mom). So as we sat and played cards Shelby whined until she finally settled and fell asleep.

Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Ya,definitely a puppy thing! Even now Finnie will do that at times (of course Piper does too but that's more bratty behaviour lol)

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    and trying to get away with whatever the puppy does:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Have you ever had a toddler? You know one that really got in the whole "Terrible twos" idea? Well, it seems your Willow has reached the equivalent stage in sheltie development. And like with children, it doesn't last forever.

Annabelle had it IN SPADES. Hers often involved attempting to destroy things when tired. Cassie seems to be closely following in her footsteps.

Sharon7, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  9. Katie’s Mom

Katie’s Mom Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Suffolk County,NY
    E775E1EC-BA85-4C51-9E2B-E0899F397E3D.jpeg
    Katie gets out of control at times and finds herself in time-out quite often! Just like my grandson...think they need to be taught to calm themselves.

Calliesmom, Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.