Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Discouraging "litter box snacking"

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by SRW, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I'm open for suggestions here. Devon has developed a nasty litter box habit that I'm trying to break. He finally threw up today because he ate so much cat :poop:. I've tried scolding him, and even yelling at him when I caught him going into the place where the cat's litter box is, but so far it's just made him more sneaky about it (if he sees me watching him head down the hall toward the half bath where the litter box is he stops and turns around).

Unfortunately I don't think I could move the cat's litter box anyplace that's completely out of reach for Devon as he can now go up and down stairs, and so the second floor or basement aren't going to be of help. While I could put the litter box up on a counter or something, I would think that a guest coming in the house would be unlikely to stay very long if they saw a litter box on the counter :sick::sick::sick:

I need some way to make Devon want to avoid it, but wouldn't keep the cat from using it. The only thing left that I can think of off hand, which would be kind of drastic and possibly expensive, would be to buy some invisible fence stuff and try to adapt it for indoor use to make the room with the litter box in it off limits to him.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    what about one of those enclosed litter boxes? Or a self-cleaning one?

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Two words: baby gate. This is the only thing that has stopped my dogs. I used an inexpensive one with the wood frame and plastic, and cut a cat size hole in the plastic for the kitty. My cat either goes thru the hole or jumps over. Cat poop is just too delectable to dogs for you to think you can scold him and have that work. Or a spot somewhere high up, but that can discourage the kitty from using his/her box.

4. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    The litter box already has a top and one of those swinging doors, but that didn't deter him.

5. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

I was at one time thinking of that, but Devon wasn't all that much larger than Toro (the cat). Now though, perhaps it might work since he's grown quite a bit the last few weeks. I'd have to find one with exactly the right sized door though.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    My sister just puts her litter boxes in a cardboard box - admittedly they are big boxes as she's got a Goldie and Lab , but it does work. I have high sided containers rather than litter trays, one of my cats sometimes stands when she pees so I needed something high enough to catch that. They are high enough to prevent Sheltie sized dogs from getting in.

8. ttexan

ttexan Forums Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    Try feeding Devon canned pumpkin - one spoonful in his meals. Also, I have found adding pineapple juice to their food works. I use pumpkin daily and the dogs love it and it also helps control the consistency of their stool.

9. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Interesting suggestions. The current litterbox already has a lid and a swinging door, which hasn't deterred him, so I don't think any of the self enclosed ones would work any better. I'm going to have to somehow make it physically impossible for him to get to it. With regard to the pumpkin and/or pineapple, does feeding them those things somehow make them not want to eat poop?

10. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    While Oberon has never acquired the habit, our previous dog (Mercutio the Samoyed) loved what my husband calls "cat box crunchies". At the time we had 4 cats. We found littler boxes where the cat had to go up a little incline and then around a corner -- kind of looked like a snail shell. Mercutio couldn't get to the litter part, even though he could stick his snout in the door part.