Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do dogs blow their coat the first year?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Sunflower77, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    My eight month old female didn’t blow her coat so far. It’s almost summer. I brush her regularly. Only minimum amount of fur came off each time I brushed her. Is this normal? Do dogs blow their coat the first year? Do bitches blow their coat before the first heat?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, the puppy coat will shed the first year, although sometimes it happens gradually. However, girls really blow their coats after they're in season, so if she hasn't been in heat yet wait...the coat blow is coming!

corbinam and Piper's mom like this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    It varied some with my guys Spitfire was at about a year Sca held his longer but when he did the #1 coat blow it was epic. I think he spawned 3-4 more dogs. He was weird in that he always did it in the late summer or fall also.

Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  4. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    Thanks. I’m not looking forward to it. :) I’m enjoying her fluffy coat and my clean house right now. Her fur is so thick to the point of being bouncy, so huggable!

Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    As Sheep said, when she finally does blow her first coat you'll swear you can build another few dogs from it. But then her adult coat will come in and if she's fluffy now, she should have a nice full adult coat. Sheltie coats aren't usually completely done until they're two, sometimes three.

6. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Yep this is Spitfire at 6 months. Now his fur is so thick it is hard to check his ribs to see how fat he is (diets start in July) Spitfire_puppy.jpg

7. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla was eight months when she blew her coat. All at once. In the car. On the way to Sunnybank. The car was like a snowglobe -- we kept having to roll down the windows for all the fur to blow out! :lol:

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Shhhhhhh, my family thinks Brodie doesn't shed!

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    :yuckyuck

Spitfire was an adorable baby!!

Calliesmom and SheepOfBlue like this.
  10. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    He uses his cute as a weapon, fairly evil. Though I think he is losing it the vet tech said he was handsome the last time.

Calliesmom and Margi like this.