Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do Shelties not look up?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by k9kreationz, Apr 16, 2019.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I never thought nor realized this, but when I'm upstairs at an open section to the downstsairs, and call my Shelties, neither of them look up. They both look at the bottom of the stairs. Imagine my surprise when the Weim looked up. And then a lab mix, then a Boxe. How come the Shelties don't look up? Even when they see the Weim looking up, they still look at the bottom of the stairs.

My thought was, they focus only on things looking forward, not up. The Weim would look up for a bird dropping out of the sky (that sounds horrid now that I typed it). The lab, ditto. I know nothing about what a Boxer was bred for, so no clue there.

Thoughts? Guesses?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I never thought about this either until I got Benson a few weeks ago. He notices (and reacts to, unfortunately) EVERYTHING. This includes all things UP. A piece of metal was moving on a rooftop antenna in the wind as we walked by. He saw it and jumped. Something on a branch overhead? Yeah that too. Looked up in the living room, saw the ceiling fan--that deserved a wide berth and leaving the room.
    I don't think Fil or Koko have ever looked up unless the bird they were chasing went into the tree.
    I can't decide if Benson's hyper reactive or hyper observant..

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    they do when chasing a squirrel and it goes up a tree!

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Mine will look up if they see something (Piper used to try to herd the geese when he was young) but if I point out a squirrel in a tree unless they see it they won't look to where I'm pointing. They'll run to the fence and look up but only if I say squirrel lol.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Tully looks up, because she likes to sniff out possums, then she jumps up on the tree and barks to indicate to me there's a possum there (something she taught herself - I don't care that much about possums). Deska definitely looked up - only way to bark and make sure the planes didn't land!

Maybe your dogs don't have any reason to look up - which is kind of insulting!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    When Sca was little he chased airplanes. Not the sound either he could see them. Spitfire looks down on everything (pun intended) and Angus I am not sure he kind of looks everywhere ....oooo squirrel... but I never recall up.

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie sees everything both up and down also when she was a puppy :yes:

In return I can remember that I wondered why she never sat down :no:
    but only stood up until she was around 6-7 months
    - only sit down when she was told to :biggrin2:

9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu looks up. Sometimes he will look up, and then I will too. A flock of birds flying overhead. He noticed them before I did. Helicopters and airplanes too.

Caro likes this.
  10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Mine look up to see stuff. I don't know if they would look up a staircase at me because we don't have stairs.